You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

alsidw

Unregistered

Monday, August 19th 2013, 6:50am

anti siphon valve

I have a Rain Bird System with a manual anti siphon device that is installed between the sprinkler pump and the sprinkler line to the sprinkler control box, it is located near the pump about 18 inches off the ground. I recently broke the pipe to the pump and wonder if the anti siphon valve is necessary or would a one way valve be ok? I live in Port St Lucie Florida.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 19th 2013, 7:31am

A vacuum breaker is superior protection compared to a check valve, as long as the pump isn't running 24/7

alsidw

Unregistered

Monday, August 19th 2013, 7:42am

Irritrol Valve

As a newbie please forgive any incorrect terms I may use.

I have a Irritrol grey valve with a manual shutoff on the valve and wonder if I need it on my sprinkler system or can I use a one way valve. I ask this because i had the manual water supply cutoff valve closed and forgot it was closed. The sprinkler pump came on with the time this morning and blew the put put plastic pipe out of the pump. I can repair the pipe and fittings but wonder if I need the valve at all. Would a one way valve be better since I have to take the lines apart.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 19th 2013, 10:46am

Fix it back the way it was. It was installed that way for a reason. When it checks out okay, you can remove the flow control knob, which should have never been touched in the first place.

alsidw

Unregistered

Monday, August 19th 2013, 11:22am

anti siphon valve

Ok, gotta come clean. I installed a second pump and ran water lines outside out the house with bib faucets to use hard to water places and pots that the sprinkler cant reach, both are fed by the shallow well in the back yard, I taped into the supply line to the sprinkler pump and put a one way valve in that line, however the second pump will not orime without closing the flow control valve on the sprinkler- I assume it is sucking air from the sprinkler heads. All was working fine until I forgot to open the flow control/anti siphon valve last night after using the hose and the timer came on for the sprinkler and there was no way for the water to go and it blew out the 1 1/2 inch plastic pipe out of the pump.

I want that never to happen again so I plan to put a one valve in the sprinkler out put line as it comes out of the pump to stop the second pump from sucking air and not priming.

alsidw

Unregistered

Monday, August 19th 2013, 3:26pm

leak on suction side of shallow well pump

How can I check for a leak on the suction side of a shallow well pump. I just replaced the outlet side since the pump got hot and I wonder if the intake plastic pipe got hot too and now is leaking.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 19th 2013, 8:25pm

Plastic intake pipes do provide for suction leaks. You might do yourself a favor and take a step back, and look at the overall picture. If you want to hose water from the shallow well, you need to turn it into a complete water supply, with a pressure switch and a storage tank and a relief valve. Then you can use a hose and no worries. The sprinkler system backflow protection now gets upgraded to a pressure vacuum breaker, on account of it is now under pressure 24/7

If this seems like a lot of time and expense for a little bit of extra watering, it is just that. You'd be better off improving the sprinkler zones themselves, and buying an extra-long garden hose for whatever remains unwatered by the sprinklers..

Rate this thread