You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 4:57pm

PVB leaking

I have a Watts 800M4FR PVB that's acting up from time to time. At the beginning of the summer, I did buy the full replacement kit and installed that. However now that my system is operational, it still does this from time to time: http://youtu.be/ExNRjmqMKjo

Sometimes it will do that indefinitely and other times it will stop the pulsating and water will just flow from the cap. This normally happens at the beginning of my watering cycle when my first zone starts. I haven't been able to reproduce this through a manual start of that zone. And normally when this happens, if I just shut the valve going into the PVB, then open it again, the PVB seems to "catch" and it no longer leaks and functions normally through the entire watering cycle.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 7:02pm

You would have been better off buying a new PVB, since you seem to have replaced the outlet ball valve with one that doesn't have the required testcock.

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 10:07pm

You would have been better off buying a new PVB, since you seem to have replaced the outlet ball valve with one that doesn't have the required testcock.
I've actually done nothing other than install the replacement kit as I mentioned. Are you saying that valve could be causing the problem? Or are you saying this issue is an indication the PVB needs to be replaced?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 10:23pm

I know these devices. The ball valve on the outlet is not original equipment, so obviously the PVB has been allowed to freeze. Probably more than once. It should have been replaced in its entirety.

Find the zone valve(s) and turn down their flow controls a bit, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 10:35pm

Thanks WB. Not saying you aren't correct about the PVB and the valve...I'm sure you are, I inherited this system with the house we purchased so no telling what has been done in the past.

Most of my valves do have flow control so I can try that, but last time I turned one of those knobs it broke.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 22nd 2013, 8:13am

When a PVB is breaking repeatedly, suspect the system shutoff valve as allowing water to pass, even when it's completely closed.