You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TrippKnightly

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 27th 2013, 7:28pm

Hunter PGP Blue Nozzles... there's like no difference vs red?

I'm a little dumbfounded here. And maybe you'll disagree with me. Seems that the blue nozzles are so unappreciably different in pattern vs the red. Why on earth would Hunter even bother inventing and deploying them?

For me it doesn't matter much as I only have 2 PGP ATRs on 1 zone (rest Rainbird Maxi-Paw for now), but still seems really odd the blue nozzles even exist. Thought they'd give me some kind of new versatility or way to shorten the throw vs the red using the diffuser, but seems like nope just a different color. Heck I don't even see a gimmicky/pretty curtain of rain!

(Aside: my problem w/ the Maxis is they throw too far (I didn't design my system) so that's why I was interested in being able to dial back the throw. Will have to see if I can do that @ the Irritrol valve and still have the things work right.)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 28th 2013, 7:43am

why aren't you just shortening the radius of the maxipaws, if that's the only issue?

Tripp Knightly

Unregistered

Thursday, August 29th 2013, 11:45am

Well, I had one Maxi that needed replacement (return trip failed and the only way out was to replace at least the body). I'd seen enough posts suggesting Maxi is decades-old technology (even if they work fine... not trying to kindle that debate anew here). So, I figured why not try something new and since it's a 2-head zone replaced both and kept one as a parts cannibal.

mrfixit

Friday, August 30th 2013, 1:07am

I'm not a fan of the blue nozzles. I don't have a lot of experience with them though. The first time I tried them it looked like to me there was more puddling around the head so I switched them out to the red nozzle and I've been using only red ever since.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 1st 2013, 5:37pm

I think Hunter only did it to say their nozzles are listed in order of G.P.M. like the Rainbird 5000

I just like the Rainbird 5000.

I used to be a PGP guy.

I have converted to almost all hunter except for the Rainbird Spray Nozzle and the 5000 Rotor.

I made the switch to the Hunter Valve this year after the Fiasco of valve problems with Rainbird last year.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 1st 2013, 7:50pm

I made the switch to the Hunter Valve this year after the Fiasco of valve problems with Rainbird last year.
Which RB valves were you using?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 4:41pm

I was using the DV-100s, they had a problem that is still popping up. The bleed screws or thumb screws were slowly backing out causing a lot of warranty calls on new systems.

I don't install that many new systems, but it still caused me pain in the schedule.

:thumbsup:

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 3rd 2013, 2:20pm

Sometimes the adjusting screw on maxi paws unscrew themselves. Wrapping it in teflon tape seems to keep them in place.

I know it's not ideal especially if you're going to use the bleeder screw but maybe teflon tape on the bleeder screw would keep it from coming off.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 3rd 2013, 4:44pm

I'm not a fan of the blue nozzles. I don't have a lot of experience with them though. The first time I tried them it looked like to me there was more puddling around the head so I switched them out to the red nozzle and I've been using only red ever since.
It seems that visible close-in spray is the point of these nozzles, even when it's unnecessary or harmful.

The one thing I am grateful for the RB 5000 series is that they can spray further than a PGP can at some lower pressures and nozzle sizes, which became important when the high-pop PGP was discontinued in favor of the 'Ultra' version of the head, which can't use the original red nozzles.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 3rd 2013, 9:23pm

I totally agree.

Rate this thread