You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dan5505

Unregistered

Thursday, August 29th 2013, 7:35pm

Is this installed correctly?

Hi Guys,

We bought a house a couple months ago. It has a sprinkler system installed and the main water supply is in the crawl space. Where the water exits the house, they have a u-shaped assembly of pvc pipe. Two days ago, I cracked this pipe with the weed eater and had to shut off the water supply.

My questions are:

Does this look correct? If not, what would you suggest I do while I am repairing the crack?

Is the u-shaped assembly of PVC acting like a poor mans backflow device? I don't believe there is one installed in the system.

Should I add some sort of fitting to this assembly to aid in blowing out the system? How do you suppose they blew out the system in years past?

Thanks!

Dan

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 29th 2013, 8:59pm

your Pressure Vacuum Breaker is missing - are you in a high-crime area, with copper thieves?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 29th 2013, 9:09pm

first you need a Backflow Preventer.
I am not in your market so I am going to have you follow a link and watch a backflow video.

If I am breaking protocol let me know and I will correct my behavior.

go to http://www.backflowinspector.com and watch the 5 min video, why backflow is important to you.

good luck.

Dan
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

dan5505

Thursday, August 29th 2013, 10:52pm

I do plan on installing a backflow preventer. Before I do that, I was hoping to find out if my pipe configuration is correct. I do not live in a high crime area. I live in Montana, an armed and polite society.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 30th 2013, 8:05am

If the top of the white piping is at least a foot-and a half higher than any sprinkler heads downstream of it, then a PVB can be cut into it at the appropriate location.

dan5505

Friday, August 30th 2013, 8:47pm

If the top of the white piping is at least a foot-and a half higher than any sprinkler heads downstream of it, then a PVB can be cut into it at the appropriate location.
Sounds good. Should the PVB be in the crawl space or exterior to the house? Thank you for the advice. Based on the responses, it sounds like there is nothing outrageously wrong with the installation other than it doesn't have a backflow preventer?

electrifiedmale

Friday, August 30th 2013, 10:18pm

Should the PVB be in the crawl space or exterior to the house?
The PVB should be a foot and half higher than the highest sprinkler head. You would want to mount the PVB at the top of that u section in the horizontal leg.

experience is learned just after you needed it most

Rate this thread