You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Dashman

Sunday, September 8th 2013, 12:20am

Schedule for iowa

I live in southeast Iowa, and am trying to set up my schedule for the best results! I dont truly understand the different soil types I read about on here, but would be glad to answer any questions! my setup for zones is such:

Zone 1 - main lawn area
Zone 2 - Bushes and shrubs
Zone 3- Main lawn
Zone 4 - Main lawn
Zone 5 - Main Lawn
Zone 6 - bushes and shrubs.

So my questions are....

1. How many inches of water should I actually be wanting to lay down, and how often?
2. I was thinking of running 2 time zones - 5am-9am 6pm-9pm (gets dark around 8 pm
IE - running a zone from 5am to 9 am, then again 6pm-9pm same day

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Dashman" (Sep 8th 2013, 12:26am)

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 8th 2013, 8:49am

An every other day schedule, i.e. Odd or Even days, works well. A good rule of thumb is 15 minutes for sprays and 30 minutes for rotors. Its not exact, but is a good place to start. Eother way, your rotor zones should run approx. 2X longer than your spray zones. If dealing with sandy soil, a cycle/soak really isnt necessary, as the water wont puddle or run off. Clay soils do very well with cycle/soak, as clay doesnt absorb water very quickly, and dowsing a clay yard with water usually results with that water pooling or running off into the gutters.

A look at Iowa State University's extention page you should find an ET (EvapoTranspiration) chart. The ET values represent the amt. of moisture leaving the soil for a particular period of time. This number would reflect the amt. of water you need to put back in through watering.

Wednesday, March 19th 2014, 11:51am

Scheduling

Hunter offers a free site specific scheduling program on their website. You can type in zone info and basic site info and it will generate an ideal watering schedule based on what you punch in. If you use it frequently it will tell you what % seasonal adjustment you should be at based on local weather.

Rate this thread