You are not logged in.

terrycts@comcast.net

Unregistered

Saturday, September 28th 2013, 1:39pm

Bug & Debris Contamination at Valves

For years I never understood how so much slug debris found its way into my drip irrigation systems. Then one day I broke off a plastic cap on one of the valves, only to see that beneath it was a favorite location for small slugs, etc. When the valves turn on, I could see how this debris enters the system. I understand the need for such a function, and understand why manufacturers hide this problem with a cap with a not-so-obvious big gap underneath it. I have broken off all the caps, making it easy to see and hose out the debris before I turn on the sprinklers in the Spring. Any other ideas on how to protect this area?

mrfixit

Saturday, September 28th 2013, 3:02pm

I've seen people put screen over it and tie it off with wire.
I've always thought that gap should be filled in with plastic with holes in it so the water can drain incorporated into the design.
Someday it probably will.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, September 28th 2013, 6:55pm

How about posting a photo of the problem?

mrfixit

Saturday, September 28th 2013, 8:13pm

He's talking about the anti-syphon cap. Bugs love to go in there and they get flushed down the line.

mrfixit

Saturday, September 28th 2013, 8:36pm

RE: Bug & Debris Contamination at Valves

For years I never understood how so much slug debris found its way into my drip irrigation systems. Then one day I broke off a plastic cap on one of the valves, only to see that beneath it was a favorite location for small slugs, etc. When the valves turn on, I could see how this debris enters the system. I understand the need for such a function, and understand why manufacturers hide this problem with a cap with a not-so-obvious big gap underneath it. I have broken off all the caps, making it easy to see and hose out the debris before I turn on the sprinklers in the Spring. Any other ideas on how to protect this area?

If you installed a filter on the line then the bugs wouldn't make it to the emitters.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 29th 2013, 8:02am

He's talking about the anti-syphon cap. Bugs love to go in there and they get flushed down the line.
Bugs I can see. It was the idea of slugs that had me wondering if these valves were not properly elevated.