You are not logged in.

coeng

Unregistered

Monday, October 14th 2013, 8:14am

one zone won't blow out

All 5 of my zones were working perfectly a week ago. On Friday I had my blowout done and Zone 3 did not work and therefore did not get blown out. I was told (by the new company that I am using now) that it would be fine and that they would do wire tracing in the spring to find the zone valve box and resolve the issue with Zone 3 (the previous owners of the home did not know the locations of the zone vale boxes).

Could this have been related at all to the new PVB I had installed over the summer to replace an antiquated AVB?

Should I not worry? Or should I get this addressed right away?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 14th 2013, 10:17am

Better to find the valves sooner rather than later, and blow out that final zone. The winterizing done so far covers you for any overnight freezes, so it isn't so time-critical.

coeng

Unregistered

Monday, October 14th 2013, 1:22pm

Better to find the valves sooner rather than later, and blow out that final zone. The winterizing done so far covers you for any overnight freezes, so it isn't so time-critical.
So you're saying I better get it done ASAP because any ice damage over the winter would end up costing me more in the long run. The problem is going to be tracing the zone wire to the Zone 3 valve box. I have no idea where it is, nor what something like this should end up costing me.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 14th 2013, 7:18pm

Since it doesn't look like you can get away forever without knowing where the valves are, you might as well resign yourself to the necessity of locating them.

coeng

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 15th 2013, 10:17am

Since it doesn't look like you can get away forever without knowing where the valves are, you might as well resign yourself to the necessity of locating them.
I definitely agree but I don't know how to go about locating them without the use of specialized equipment. When I called the company yesterday that blew my lines out and insisted the zone be repaired before the winter, they said I had nothing to worry about and that in the spring they would bring a wire tracer which they would have to rent. Their primary focus is on blowouts now and they can't fit such a job in their schedule. Furthermore since this zone appears to have a low point (the sprinkler head on the back corner of my property) that I would be okay. I don't understand how they came to that conclusion. Either way they said if anything got damaged from freezing, they would be held accountable. I'm still not getting a warm fuzzy from this explanation.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 16th 2013, 5:41pm

If it happens your sprinkler company rents (many do) their winterizing compressor, then it makes sense they do nothing else but winterize for the duration. As long as your system is plumbed with poly pipe (black tubing sold in rolls) then you don't have a lot to worry about.

Rate this thread