You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jc

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 12:34pm

Pond system siphoning

Hello,

I have a pond and a sloping front yard. I believe the sprinkler heads at the lowest point of the yard are below the level of the pond. That part of the yard is always wet. I can see water trickling out of the heads when the whole system is off. The only way to stop the trickle is to pull the pick-up hose off the pump. I can hear air getting sucked into the system and the water stops leaking out.

I've talked to the system installer and they've been out twice to clean out the valves. That works for a little while, but then the leaks come right back.

Seems like there should be some kind of anti-siphon device on this thing, but I don't know what kind or where it should be located, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 5:23pm

You need to upgrade the pump supply, with a pressure switch and a pressure tank. This upgrade allows the pump/tank combination to become a mini-water supply. Then your zone valves have a constant supply force that will keep them closed. If you don't trust your system main line to hold water pressure 24/7, then you have to add a master valve at the pump.

jc

Unregistered

Thursday, October 24th 2013, 11:32am

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying about constant pressure or needing a master valve, but both of those solutions seem a little complicated compared to just breaking the siphon by letting in air when the pump is turned off. But I'm no expert. Is there some reason why that wouldn't work? Do they make one-way air valves for that purpose?

Thanks again...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 24th 2013, 8:55pm

You could always try to feed the pump output through a vacuum breaker, and see what happens, but only the pressurized set-up already described will completely eliminate all siphoning.

Rate this thread