You are not logged in.

Sunday, October 27th 2013, 8:31pm

trouble shooting wires

If anyone can help me clarify a wire issue I would appreciate it. ok, a property of mine had a zone that was not activating. I traced it and finally got it going. BUT, here is the funny part. when the zone stays off for a couple of minutes I can not ohm the solenoid out, it reads open line. BUT when I run the zone it works and if I shut it off and quickly ohm it out, it ohm's out between 63-74 ohm's, I know that's high cause a weather matic is between 28-34 ohm's. my theory is I have another nick in the wire or the system has too many splices in it due to a lot of damaged wires while under construction>>>>????? anyone confirm ?(

mrfixit

Monday, October 28th 2013, 3:00am

It sounds like you know what you're doing.
I'd say it's a wiring problem.
I'm not sure too many splices would do that as long as they're all good splices.
It's probably a bad splice.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 28th 2013, 11:47am

It definitely sounds like an intermittent condition caused by a poor splice. What happens on some intermittent faults, is that the operating voltage arcs across the discontinuity, and brings back operation.

Thursday, October 31st 2013, 11:18pm

wire issues

yes sir, it was a bad splice under an oak tree that was earthing out as well, I had to run new wires to the valves under jasmine... the perfect spot for valves. haha! I did the wire to ground test and got a resistance reading witch tells me that it was an earh fault. when you do this test it should read open line. after that it was all about digging and pot holing to see if I can get as close as I can to the valves.. oh did I mention the weathertragic solenoids ohmed out good but were bad... hey just an fyi you may know this already but it was ironic today it rained where I live and when I tried to read voltage I got nothing, yesterday I was getting half of my voltage, moist soil is a very good ground. if you trace wires poor a cup of water first than stick your grounding rod in it. thanks for the feedback.

Rate this thread