You are not logged in.

Monday, November 4th 2013, 12:39pm

Zone not working

Folks being a novice with sprinklers systems I am trying to learn the one installed at my new house.So after much troubleshooting an digging i have three zones that work in my back yard, when it goes to the fourth nothing happens. I checked the voltage and Ohms and both seem to be with in specs but when I connect the solenoid, i get no readings on voltage or Ohms, it seems to short out the wires, i disconnect the solenoid and i get a reading again. I replaced the solenoid with a new and same thing happens. I then replaced it with one that I know is working from another zone and again it happens so I know it is not the solenoid. Any ideas?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jonpit007" (Nov 4th 2013, 3:42pm)

mrfixit

Monday, November 4th 2013, 5:02pm

There's probably a problem with the zone wire.

You could try moving the 4th zone wire at the controller to a slot that you know works and see what happens.

Is there a spare wire you can hook up in place of the zone 4 wire?

How difficult would it be to run new wires to the valves if threre's not a spare?

You aren't wiring two valves together are you? Some controllers can't handle that. Then again most can and that might be your solution if you have the water to run two valves at once.

Before you run new wires I'd like you to try something. Use both wires from a valve you know works and hook them up to the problem valve. Does it work?

Monday, November 4th 2013, 8:53pm

zone not working

what type of valve is it?

what type of controller is it?

what type of wires are ran the red and white one's or the thin multi color wires?

Monday, November 4th 2013, 9:11pm

zone not working

before you start digging there is a test to see if your wires are shorting out or grounding out.

get you ohm meter and set it to 10k or 200k what ever your meter has,

get a separate wire, enough to reach your grass, strip the insulation off about 4" stick it in the ground as deep as you can.

get the other side and strip it about 1/2" take that end to the controller

then take the wires to the zone that are giving you problems off of the controller, the zone wire and the common wire ( the white wire).

put the black lead from your meter to the wire that you stuck in the ground.

take the red lead from your meter and stick it on the zone wire.

if you read any resistance at all you have a earth ground fault. this means your wire has a nick in it and its touching earth.

now repeat these steps for the white wire as well, remember you testing two wires the zone and the common wires to the earth.

now to check for a short

take all the wires off of the clock

touch all the wires one at a time to each other with your meter.

example

white to red white to blue white to green

red to to blue red to green red to brown

work your way thru all the wires if you know what I mean. if you get a audible tone or you get an OL with some noise you have a short

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "trouble shooter" (Nov 4th 2013, 9:18pm)

Tuesday, November 5th 2013, 8:03am

Zone Not Working

Thanks Guys I will try this over the weekend and let you know

mrfixit

Tuesday, November 5th 2013, 12:41pm

If you do what I've suggested you'll be the testing the controller, valve and the wiring. You'll have your answer.

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 9:19am

Well I changed out the order, I know zone 3 was working and swapped it for Zone four, same issue as soon as I attached the solenoid I got no voltage reading. I than ran separate wires from a zone that i know that worked and it turned on. I have this issues with both my front and back zones. Do I need to run new wires?

Monday, November 11th 2013, 9:14pm

I would look around the yard for obvious areas that might have been dug up for prior repairs, before I ran new wires,

unless its a close run?

also, did you check if you had a splice box ? at your controller what type of wires do you have ? are they the same as your wires at the valves? if not you may have a valve box near your controller that has nothing but wire splices. if you do, check all your connections there first. make sure every connection is good. this box is usually under the controller if its mounted outside. if it's in your garage, the wires should exit the garage somewhere. follow the wires

Rate this thread