You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 30th 2004, 9:07am

Flow test from my well pump and pipe size help...

What is the best way to design my piping coming from the well pump and going to the sprinkler heads? From what I've read 1" piping from the well to the pump and then 1" to the heads and 3/4 risers will provide good flow while mostly avoiding 'waterhammer' like conditions. Is this what you guys recommend or do you recommend different size piping coming from the well itself? Also, how do i go about doing my flow test on the well once my pump is installed? Can I put a psi gauge on the outlet from the pump and then do a flow test? Any help in this area appreciated.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 30th 2004, 10:30am

Your pump insdtaller will provide you with the head and recovery rate of your system. It is a good idea to let your pump installer know what type of volume and pressure you are trying to achieve to run your system. Especially GPM's - this determines how deep your well might need to be

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 30th 2004, 10:31am

the diameter depends on the pump and the well. For example my well guy advised that I do 1.25 in pipe with a 1 hp submersible pump and a 40 gal pressure tank and that would get me 20 gpm. This was all explained to me after they installed 1/2 hp pump 20 gal tank and 1 in pipe. As I have said before ask the person who sells you the pump because there are several different factors to take into consideration. From my pressure tank I ran 1 inch pipe out of my basement to the heads. To do your flow test i would get your pump running and adjust the flow until you are getting 40-60 psi then fill a 5 gal bucket and time it. And yes you can put a psi guage on the outlet from the pump.
Thanks,

Pete

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 30th 2004, 12:01pm

My well is already dug and I think it's a centrifugal type pump at 1.5 hp tat i was sold. The guy that sold me the pump didn't say anything about recovery rates e.t.c., but did say that I should use my ball valve to get the correct psi i'm looking for the flow rate to the sprinklers. He did mention that the pump was more than adequate to do the job. I'm just curious what size foot valve i will possibly need (for a 4" shallow well). I do plan on using 1" pipe to the heads though with 3/4 risers. Hopefully, the plumber will soon come to complete the install for the actual pump.

P.S. will putting a psi gauge on the pump outlet harm the pump in any way while it's running? Sorry, but i'm pretty new to well pumps. Any more help appreciated. Thanks

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpete3</i>
<br />the diameter depends on the pump and the well. For example my well guy advised that I do 1.25 in pipe with a 1 hp submersible pump and a 40 gal pressure tank and that would get me 20 gpm. This was all explained to me after they installed 1/2 hp pump 20 gal tank and 1 in pipe. As I have said before ask the person who sells you the pump because there are several different factors to take into consideration. From my pressure tank I ran 1 inch pipe out of my basement to the heads. To do your flow test i would get your pump running and adjust the flow until you are getting 40-60 psi then fill a 5 gal bucket and time it. And yes you can put a psi guage on the outlet from the pump.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Saturday, May 15th 2004, 2:33pm

As long as there is a pressure switch installed you should have no trouble with placing a pressure gauge on the pump outlet, (I assume you are trying to get a reading before the rest of the plumbing is installed). I would recommend that you ask your plumber about installing a switch with the maximum pressure that is safe for the system, i.e. 40/60.

Rate this thread