You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

OrlandoBen

Starting Member

Monday, April 12th 2004, 7:10am

Zone 1 will not shut off

I have a Rainbird ESP-4 controller. Zone 1 will not shut off and runs continually even when zone 2, 3 or 4 are on. It does shut off when power to controller is disconnected which tells me solenoid / valve is good.
Controller is 2 yrs old and obviously bad, is it possible to repair or more cost effective to replace? Would you suggest replacing with same mfg & model?

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Monday, April 12th 2004, 9:05am

before replacing your controller- try changing the wiring on that zone to another one first. You might have a solenoid that just wont turn off. If your controller is only 2 years, you might still be under warranty.

bobw

Advanced Member

Monday, April 12th 2004, 10:16am

Before assuming that the controller is bad, check to see if you have a master valve. If you have a master valve, water will be shut down to your whole irrigation system when the controller is turned off, so your assesment may be incorrect. It may be as simple as some dirt or a small pepple is in the valve body keeping the valve open. Most valves can be unscrewed by hand for service. If you want to open up a valve to clean it up, just make sure you have the water supply turned off.

BSME

Advanced Member

Tuesday, April 13th 2004, 3:10pm

The master valve call is a good one. if you can find your valve box open it up and count your valves. If you have more than 4 zones you probably have a master valve. Sometimes though the master valve is inside right after the turn on valve or outside real close to the backflow preventer.

by the way... aquamatic... you amaze me by how you are everywhere ALL the time... whenever I hit reply to answer a question you are one step ahead of me... keep up the good work

Rate this thread