You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jsdummy

Starting Member

Sunday, April 18th 2004, 3:39pm

Did I break my backflow preventer?

Last fall, I had my sprinkler system professionally winterized.
This spring, I attempted to turn things back on myself.
Things went ok until I opened the valve between the house and the backflow preventer (a Febco PVB) - water poured out the top. I tried opening the value on the other side of the PVB, but water continued to pour out.

I tried tightening the nut atop the cover of the PVB. Due to overtightening, I broke one of the plastic forks inside the PVB. Removing the cover it looks like these forks hold the bonnet securely in place.

Can this be fixed or do I need to buy a new PVB?

BSME

Advanced Member

Sunday, April 18th 2004, 4:19pm

You probably won't have to replace the whole breaker. There are "guts" on the inside of the backflow preventer that can easily crack instead of the whole backflow preventer. Check sprinklerwarehouse.com to see what matches yours. Sounds more intense than just a torn O ring or something

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Sunday, April 18th 2004, 5:27pm

Exact problem on our first season startup, Same backflow- Your freeze protect most likely is blown, You can get a repair kit for those. Im assuming its a 765 model.

Rate this thread