You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

redwine

Sunday, March 24th 2002, 3:25pm

what is a good low volume lawn head?

Im running 1/2 copper pipe,I don't have all the pressure in the world...is there a good hunter low volume rotor head that can throw between 20 and 24 ft?

also, do spray heads take alot less pressure rotor heads to run? is there a spray head that can throw 20 to 24 ft?

I have all my line in the yard running down hill,valve box is at the highest point,so will that help my pressure?

also,do rotor heads take more pressure than inpact rotors?

Edited by - redwine on Mar 24 2002 9:28:14 PM

Edited by - redwine on Mar 24 2002 9:41:34 PM

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 12:08pm

There are low volume NOZZLES that you can use for some hunter heads, as well as rainbird, and toro. Spray heads do take less pressure to run, but there is not a nozzle that can throw 20 ft. maybe about 18 though. The downhill question....It won't significantly increase the pressure, but it will maybe a little. The pressure part for the impacts and the rotors...It really depends on what nozzle you use for your heads. Here is a good webpage for beginners: www.jessstryker.com tells you everything you need to know about irrigation.

Friday, March 29th 2002, 7:51pm

Rotor head work best at 50 psi at the head.
Spray heads are designed to function best at 30 psi

Most Rotor heads used for watering homes can throw 25 to 40 feet (radius).
Spray heads can throw water a maximum distance of 18 feet (radius).

Impart rotors can work better at lower pressures than the normal close case gear driven rotors. The Rain Bir4d R-50 works better than any other rotor at low pressures.

Having the valve at a slightly higher elevation does not give you enough pressure increase to consider unless the drop is significant from top to bottom.

Edited by - SprinklerWarehouse Irrigator on Mar 30 2002 01:54:07 AM

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 30th 2002, 2:40am

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Rotors/pgm3.htm

If you only need about 20' try this head. Hunter PGM. We use them occasionaly on clients that do not want to spend the money to redo the lawn but want better coverage. Does not take much pressure or VOLUME (more importantly!) to do what you want. YOu might give them a shot.

As for Jess STryker, email me, you might have better luck, I have found som flaws in his tutorials!

Sprinklersolutions.net

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

redwine

Saturday, April 6th 2002, 6:06pm

thank you for the answers,the PMG's work FANTASTIC!

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 7th 2002, 3:49am

You are welcome
One thing to watch for with the PGM:

It doesn't take much dirt in the screen to make it stop turning. If one of them stops turning, check the screen by unscrewing the drive from the body. You can do this without digging it up if you are careful.

If the screen is clean, take it back to where you bought it, the warranty is AWESOME.

Sprinklersolutions.net

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread