You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bdogi

Saturday, December 28th 2013, 11:53am

Forgot to Winterize :( Help

I'm hoping there is still something I can do, but it's Wisconsin and the temperatures have already reached 5F :( It is 35 today, but will dip back down again.

Anyway - the system is all Rainbird and the piping is 1" poly. There is a shutoff in the basement to the irrigation system and that goes out to the blowout and out to the system.

I recall when they installed that the poly wasn't as deep as I would have wanted. I'm guessing 18" below the surface, but it went down rather gradually from the valves (which were probably 8"-10" deep).

There is snow cover (about 6-8") and no easy way to get to the sprinkler heads. I'm sure I could dig out to the valve boxes as they are close to the house and under less snow. shouldn't be too hard to find.

I think that's all the information I can give... hope there is some help for me. The people that installed my sprinkler just said there is nothing I can do - but I refuse to believe that.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 28th 2013, 6:57pm

You have to wait until the ground is entirely unfrozen, before you can even think of winterizing a system.

bdogi

Monday, December 30th 2013, 7:18am

ugh. That's not what I wanted to hear. :( By that time I'll definitely have some broken pipes. Lesson learned.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, December 30th 2013, 9:33am

If it's any consolation, a pipe break will enable water to drain, so the damage might luckily be of the self-limiting nature.

bdogi

Monday, December 30th 2013, 12:03pm

ha. Well, I won't say that is great news... but I'm hoping for the best. Worst news.. it's -20 with windchill today :( That doesn't help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 1st 2014, 10:40am

Even we're in line for a bit of sub-zero weather. Happy New Year!

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, February 17th 2014, 10:57am

Tough winter here in the midwest. We are hearing more and more reports of home water mains freezing solid due to the above average frost depth. Some areas reporting frost reaching above 6' under roadways and parking lots. Septic lines should be freezing soon.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, February 17th 2014, 6:55pm

Elderly neighbor just lost her water today. I'll be letting some water run from here on out.

Rate this thread