You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

daronson

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 6:31am

PVC and poly threaded connections

I ran 1" poly and will be using blazing saddles in the middle of the pipe and 3/4" reducers on the ends. I will use 2 Otecker clamps on each reducer. My question is do I use teflon tape on the funny ells when threading them to the poly reducer? Also, is teflon used on the funny ell to the sprinkler head, or just threaded on? My understanding is that there is no need for any clamp on the funny pipe itself, just slip it onto the funny ell.

When attaching the manifold (1" female threaded manifold tees, I will glue these together after installing the valves)to the valve (1" male threaded Hunter PGV), do I use teflon here? How tight should these be, I want to make sure the valve ends up in the upright position, but I don't want it too loose or too tight.
THANKS!!

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 12:46pm

<font face='Arial'></font id='Arial'><font size=4></font id=size4>

You should use Teflon Tape on every male fitting on your system. You do not need a clamp for the funny pipe, but just to insure that it stays on, we put some glue on the barb fitting. When attaching the valves to the manifold tees, get them as tight as you can, but not too tight that you cannot get them in an upright position.

daronson

Wednesday, March 27th 2002, 3:12am

What type of glue do you use on the funny pipe fitting? Do you ALWAYS use glue? This (probably pretty obvious) is my first (and hopefully last) irrigation system installation.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 28th 2002, 12:42pm

Yes, we always use glue on funny pipe fittings, and use regular PVC Glue

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Friday, March 29th 2002, 12:00pm

Wait a sec! You don't want to tighten the valves onto the manifold as tight as you can!!!! You should hand tighten as tight as you can, without tools, and then go about 1/2 to 1 full turn more to get them aligned properly.....if you overtighten you may split the valve!

Also, do not put more than 5 wraps of teflon

Also, does the funny elbow really need teflon? I thought it was okay without, we have been installing funny elbows without teflon into Toro 570's for years. And 540's before that. Does that date me?

Sprinklersolutions.net

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

daronson

Monday, April 1st 2002, 2:42am

I installed the valves onto the manifold only hand tight. I did have to exert a bit of pressure to get them to the upright position. Don't think they could be any tighter by hand, and I DON'T plan on using any type of wrench to snug them any more. Worst case scenario in my position is that the valves leak, which I can always redo the seal, as opposed to cracking the valve.

I used 3 full wraps of teflon, and this seemed pretty sufficient.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, April 1st 2002, 2:56pm

Exactly how you should do it.

Rate this thread