You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Campbell

Wednesday, May 12th 2004, 9:24am

Newbie with lots of questions

I am seriously entertaining installing a sprinkler system myself. Before Id o so, I have some questions that I'd like to bounce off of you guys.

1) I was thinking of drawing my yard, and sending the sketch to Rain Bird in order for them to design my system. Is this a good idea, or a waste of time and money?
2) I have a pretty good PSI, but poor GPM. If memory serves me, it's 45 PSI and 7 GPM. Would I need to install a resevoir tank and pump in order to have an effective system?
3) Where do people normally install pumps? Bury them, or put in garage/basement?
4) Do I have to tap off of the main line just off the water meter, or can I tap where the pressure guage is (I doubt that's the name for what limits the water pressure into my house)?
5) I have a relatively good sized stream behind my house. Can I pump water out of it? If so, what would I need? I assume that I'd need a pump, but how far away from the water source can the pump be? How would I filter the water to make sure that I don't get any sediment?

I think that's all the questions that I have...for now. I truly appreciate any help that you guys can offer.

Thanks.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, May 12th 2004, 9:50am

If your using city water - WHere did you take your psi reading from? If from a spigot , you might have a pressure regulator installed somewhere after your meter that is giving you just 45 psi. To make it alot easier to find out, call your local water dept and ask what static pressure should you be getting at your house.

As for volume reading at that low psi and 1/2' pipe at the spigot can be giving you an untrue reading also.

Look into this first- you might have more than you think to design your system.

Where are you located?

Campbell

Wednesday, May 12th 2004, 10:00am

Yes, I tested the pressure at the spigot. I know that there is a pressure regulator, and I know where it is if I need to adjust it. I'll get in touch with the city to find out about the static pressure. I'm located in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 12th 2004, 11:26am

wHAT ABOUT PUMPING FROM THE STREAM DO YOU GUYS THINK IT WOULD BE MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO BUY A PUMP THAN TO PAY THE CITY FOR THEIR WATER? Sorry about the caps? A friend pumped from a pond and it worked great.
Thanks,

Pete

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 12th 2004, 12:09pm

The question is weither or not the spigot is before or after the pressure regulator. USUALLY at least one spigot is tapped into the main BEFORE the regulator. That's the one to test the static pressure from.

If you plan on using RainBird equipment, then sending them money to design something for you shouldn't be a waste as you can get the money rebated (as I recall) if you purchase some RainBird equipment.

You will want to tap into the main somewhere before it enters the house (so you don't hear the water running inside when the system is on). As for how close to the meter, that really depends upon the size of the main between the meter and the house. If you have a 1" PVC main between the meter and the house (and you might even if you see copper coming into the basement, there could be a 1" PVC to 3/4" Copper transition outside underground near the house) and a "average" size suburban lot, you will most likely be fine tying anywhere into the main. The only reason to tap into the main close to the meter is to avoid pressure loss in the main between the meter and the tie in spot. Again, if you have a 1" PVC main then being close to the meter isn't much of an issue. But if you have a 3/4" main, then you might want to tie in close to the meter so that you can use 1" for the main for the irrigation system.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, May 12th 2004, 3:35pm

HooKoo Explained it all. Don t try to adjust your regulator. You want to tap in before it anyways.
Free Water is always cheaper!

Campbell

Thursday, May 13th 2004, 10:36am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aquamatic</i>
<br />HooKoo Explained it all. Don t try to adjust your regulator. You want to tap in before it anyways.
Free Water is always cheaper!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Let's focus on this "free" water. Do I have to have the pump next to the water source, or can I have the pump about 100 feet away from it?

radical

Tuesday, June 15th 2004, 3:26pm

Free water is always the best way to go! Start with a 2HP Sta-Rite or Berkeley Centrifugal Pump, run 2" SCH 40 Well Casing or 100 psi High Density 3408 Poly Pipe from the suction side of the pump down to the water and install a Sure-Flo 2" Self Cleaning Stainer on the end. Absolutely no air can enter the inlet side of the pump. NONE! Support the strainer up off of the bottom of the stream or pond/lake. The closer to the water source the better - 100 feet is a bit much. Size your pipe on the discharge side of the pump starting with 2" and run that to your irrigation site then run 1.25 or 1.5" mainline for your systems. You should be able to safely design your systems at 28-30 gpm/circuit.
Richard Kersten

S&R Sprinkler Systems and Landscaping, Inc.
Destin, Florida

Rate this thread