You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bgeddes

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 8:16am

Flexible sprinkler connection

I'm planning on installing some 180 deg rotors next to the sidewalk that shoot into the yard. The (1" poly) lateral will be about 2-3 feet from the sidewalk and each sprinkler will initially be 2 inches off the sidewalk. The wife wants to plant some bushes on that side of the sidewalk some day (after sprinkler install).

My plan is to use (2-3 ft) funny pipe to connect the sprinklers due to its length flexibility (up to 4'?). If/When the bushes are planted, I want to flip the sprinkler to the other side of the lateral. No muss, no fuss!

The problem is the Blazing Saddle Tees won't work because the punctured hole would initially be on the wrong side. Therefore, I'm looking at Poly-Tees so I can unclamp and swivel when the time comes.

So, Is there a Poly-Tee that is 1"->1"->3/4" FPT?
(I could not find any on SprinklerWarehouse.com)

It would be great if there was a 1"->1"->funny pipe barb tee.

What do you guys use to connect your MPT risers to Poly-Tees ?

bgeddes

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 8:39am

After reading cuberoot's post below I saw we were looking for the same thing.

The Sprinkler Warehouse has 1" barb x 1" barb x 3/4" FPT Tees:

(and 1" barb x 1" barb x 1/2" FPT tees)

bgeddes

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 8:39am

After reading cuberoot's post below I saw we were looking for the same thing.

The Sprinkler Warehouse has 1" barb x 1" barb x 3/4" FPT Tees:

(and 1" barb x 1" barb x 1/2" FPT tees)

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 8:55am

The first thought that came to my mind was to install two 1"x1"x3/4" SST Tees, one facing in each direction. Plug one and use the other. When it's time to switch, swap the plugs.

If space is an issue that you don't want two Tees in series, the other option would be to install a 4 way cross over rather than a Tee. You could include about 6" of pipe in the sides of the 4 way, and cap one side, use the other. When it's time to swap, the 6" will give enough space to cut both pipes and swap the caps. You could transition to a pair of Female Thread addapters comming out of both sides of the 4 way as an alternative to 6" of pipe.

bgeddes

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 9:42am

Nice suggestions HooKoo. Thanks.

I had not thought of the 2 flipped 1"x1"x3/4" SST Tees in series.
As long as I'm not reducing too much pressure (?) with the 2 Tees this might be a nice approach. Especially since swapping cap and sprinkler is even easier than unclamping and rotating (I'm lazy).

Space is not too much of a concern in this area. Of course I say that now before the bushes are planted :)

The 6" transition off a 1" barb Tee with a 3/4" female insert/reducer was where I was heading before I discovered there was a 1"x1"x3/4" FPT Tee.

As far as the 4-way crossover is concerned, do they even make such an animal for 1" Poly? My original layout design had 4-ways in a zone but I couldn't find them at SprinklerWarehouse or Lowes. So I am remapping using standard Tees.

It turns out that finding the right Poly fitting is like going to Radio Shack. Sometimes I need to buy 3 parts to make the one I want in the first place.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, May 21st 2004, 1:07pm

The change in water pressure because the water is moving strait through an extra Tee is neglagible. The water flow isn;t being constricted or changing course. It would be like trying to take the change in water pressure due to couplings into account.

If space isn't an issue now without bushes planted, don't think it will be an issue afterwards since the pipe coming out of the Tee on the bush side could be cut to less than 2" before capping it. Just make sure that when you initially install the Tees that you include about 6" of pipe so that you have something to cut into to add new fittings when it comes time to make the change (i.e. this can all be done with slip fittings rather than troubling your self with dealing with threaded connections).

Matter of fact, incase you rechange your mind again later, I'd make sure that I've got enough pipe to cut into a couple of times.

Of course you can just use Slip-Slip-Threaded Tees as well.

Rate this thread