You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

alect

Wednesday, June 2nd 2004, 8:05pm

Help with sprinkler

We bought a house with a 2 station system in the back. It has stopped working.

I have checked the controller (Orbit) and it seems to be working fine. But even when I set it to Manual, the sprinklers don't work.

If I turn the sprinklers on manually (at the valve)they work fine).

So I went and bought replacement solenoids. Installed them. But still no go.

My questions is: Does this sound like there is a problem with the underground wiring (in which case I can't be bothered digging it up). Or is there something else I should check? (easily)

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Friday, June 4th 2004, 3:31pm

Always start at the controller and work your way out. Use one of those solenoids or a voltage meter and check the controller. Turn zone #1 on and test the wire terminals in the controller. One wire to the common the other to #1 terminal. It should activate the solenoid or read 24v on the voltage meter. If you are good there start working your way to your valves. Is there a rain sensor on your system? Has there been any new plantings or any sort of digging since the last time it ran? Start there and let us know what you find. This just part of the trouble shooting process. I hope this helps.

alect

Saturday, June 5th 2004, 3:40pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrwettech</i>
<br />Always start at the controller and work your way out. Use one of those solenoids or a voltage meter and check the controller. Turn zone #1 on and test the wire terminals in the controller. One wire to the common the other to #1 terminal. It should activate the solenoid or read 24v on the voltage meter. If you are good there start working your way to your valves. Is there a rain sensor on your system? Has there been any new plantings or any sort of digging since the last time it ran? Start there and let us know what you find. This just part of the trouble shooting process. I hope this helps.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

looks like I will need to get a voltage meter - have changed solenoids so they're not the problem. It seems I have two options:- get a voltage meter and try figure out where problem is - if am lucky then controller and I just buy a replacement. If not and there is something wrong with the wiring, I will be forced to get new wireless (battery) controllers as I don't want to dig up.

Will report back.

Thanks.

radical

Tuesday, June 15th 2004, 4:55pm

Volt meter is essential when trouble shooting an electric valve system. MRWETTECH gave you the correct process. Hopefully it's not a cut wire. If I were you, I would invest in a better timer if that's the problem ( and send the Orbit into orbit ). Rainbird, Toro or Hunter I would recommend (Not from Lowes or Home Depot!)
Richard Kersten

S&R Sprinkler Systems and Landscaping, Inc.
Destin, Florida

alect

Monday, June 21st 2004, 11:52am

Checked with a voltmeter. Found that controller had power going in but no power coming out. Replaced it with a Rainbird controller (basic model). Thanks to all for your help.

nestors

Advanced Member

Thursday, April 7th 2005, 9:16am

replace timer with a hunter pro-c .
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

Jazzer K

Friday, September 2nd 2005, 5:54pm

what you need to do is buy a voltage tester and turn on on zone and check your feed and the common and see if you have 24 volts. That should help if you have any thing less than 24 volts that will not open the valves. Check wiring.
Kasper's Landscape & Design Inc.

Rate this thread