You are not logged in.

jmm1804

Thursday, June 3rd 2004, 11:49am

they don't make 'em like this anymore.

background information: just moved into this 1960 era home, with a TURF irrigation corporation sprinkler system that hasn't work since who knows when.
The last homeowner simply let the yard and the home go down the tubes.
I'm getting around to lots of various and sundry tasks. Is it worth my trouble to work on this sprinkler system as is, pull the controller and start with a new one? Appears to be 9 zones, and haven't actually counted the number of sprinkler heads.
One line has been cut, and a second has had the sprinkler head removed. Believe whoever put this in was a Do-It-Yourself'er. The lines in some places are actually sitting atop the ground surface.
The controller does not function. Anyone ever encounter a situation like the one I'm describing and have solutions towards resolving an obsolete controller? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 3rd 2004, 3:27pm

I'd get water pressure to the mainline or valve manifold. Once you have that on with no leaks, you can open the control valves one at a time to see if your zones are working. Sounds like you will find a few pipe and/or head leaks.

From there you can determine your repair costs. I'd also make sure that you have proper coverage with the sprinklers you have.

I have many customers with systems that were installed in the 60's that work beautifully. These systems were of course designed and installed properly.

Good luck.

jmm1804

Monday, June 7th 2004, 12:53pm

Thanks much for responding. Put several hours into the "uncovering" what is and isn't working.
The controller is shot, too old to function as it was a mechanical timer. That will have to be replaced.
This property has a 9 zone (9 valve) setup. Very old valves by the looks of things. I cannot determine who manufactured these - (wondering if I may be able to replace just the solenoids if they do not open).
Located all 9 valves and the main water shut on/off.
Have a significant leak in the rear yard line, and at both anti-siphon valves. Used my old metal detector to locate everything... along with some objects that may have been hazardous to those not wearing shoes outside. Any comments appreciated as well as steps to follow beyond location of valves, etc.

Rate this thread