You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

alaniz

Thursday, June 17th 2004, 12:52pm

will this work

Please forgive me for thinking that this might work, but I will pose the question anyway.
Can I hookup a regular impulse sprinkler to my hose bib and then daisey chin it to another sprinkler 20-30 ft away?
Will I loose pressure?
Do I use PVC from sprinkler to sprinkler or can I use poly pipe?
How big of a pipe do I need?
I am trying to cover a 75'x75' area.
I measured my PSI from the bib and the reading said 80PSI.
I don't know what else I would need or what other info is needed.

Thanks for any help.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 22nd 2004, 7:29pm

What you asked here is either referring to putting inground, or above ground. Your saying attaching an impulse sprinkler to a hose bib makes me think that your thinking about above ground?

Specify.

alaniz

Wednesday, June 23rd 2004, 10:14am

I wanted to do it inground, about 3in (live in S TX,never gets cold) and put a conection near the HB for a quick connect. Something simple. I would put a Max of three sprinklers on the same line. I tried a dry run with regular hoses, and it did not work. The first sprinkler worked fine but the other two that were connected did nothing.

Example:
S
h
h
ThhhhhhhhhhhhhhShhhhhhhhhC HB
h
h
S
What did I do wrong? Will it work if it is PVC? Or just scrap the whole idea?

Hope this helps. Thanks for the help.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 23rd 2004, 10:26am

Its sounds like you have a lack of pressure and water volume. Did you take a reading at your spigot on your static pressure?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 24th 2004, 2:49pm

Water volume is probably the key, maybe some with the pressure. 5/8" garden hose doesn't have near as much volume as a 3/4" or 1" pipe.

alaniz

Tuesday, June 29th 2004, 2:57pm

I did check the pressure at the spigot and got a 70psi reading. I don't know why it would not work.

Thanks for the help.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 1st 2004, 8:14am

Volume. The spigot is probably only running on 1/2" pipe. The smaller the pipe, the more pressure, but less volume.

Tom

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 1st 2004, 2:05pm

rvli wrote- "The smaller the pipe, the more pressure, but less volume"

not a true statement........you can not create pressure by using a smaller pipe.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 1st 2004, 2:25pm

Educate me then. Why is it that most baseball fields/commercial designs with long runs, they reduce the pipe size as the run goes on? Conserve flow for the last head?

SamIV

Thursday, July 1st 2004, 5:10pm

RVLI

Say there are 6 heads on a zone all with 2 GPM (Galons per Minute) nozzles. This will be a 12 GPM zone. To size the pipe at the first head in this zone, the pipe will have to be able to deliver 12 GPM of water with as little pressure loss as possible. When you go to the next head the pipe will have to deliver 10 GPM. . By the time you get to the last head on the zone the pipe will have to deliver only 2 GPM because that is all the last head is delivering. So this is why pipe can be smaller at the end of the zone. And by decreasing the pipe diameter you also decrease pressure. Smaller pipe, more pressure loss. Not the other way around.

SamIV

Rate this thread