You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, June 28th 2004, 6:25pm

Gosh Awful Squeal

I hooked up a mirco-irrigation sprayer for my son to play with in his little pool. It's just a 25psi pressure regulator to a 1/2 hose that goes to the pool that then feeds 1/4" tubing with a single 0-10 gph sprayer on the end of it. When you turn on the water, it makes a terrible squeal that will only go away if you turn the water down to the point that if affects the flow of water to the sprayer.

Any ideas on an alternate way to avoiding the squeal?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 29th 2004, 9:28am

More sprayers? I am not sure.
Thanks,

Pete

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 30th 2004, 9:44am

1/4 Tubing? You need a 10 or 15 psi regulator. 25 is to much pressure for 1/4 micro tube.

Jazzer K

Saturday, December 31st 2005, 10:40am

size up the pipe it will slow down the flow and make less psi-
Kasper's Landscape & Design Inc.

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 6:19pm

sizing up the pipe NEVER slows the flow down. it increases it. but the flow is only as strong as the water supply size. if you have half inch supply and size up or down you are still getting half inch flow. this is the source. when using small pipe the stream of water shooting out furthur does not in any way mean there is more flow. flow is measured in gallons per minute. do this test to prove the validity of this. using the same water supply, time how long it takes to fill up a bucket with half inch hose. now time it with a bigger size. the bigger size will ALWAYS win. more flow. as far as psi.......sizing up the pipe will never make less psi. put a psi gauge on different sized pipes from the same water supply and it will read the same. try using a different sprayer. try actually increasing the pressure as well. 25 psi is incredibly weak and the seal may not be sealing properly. anyway, your last reply is backwards.

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, March 20th 2006, 10:13am

lush96 stated, " sizing up the pipe NEVER slows the flow down. it increases it "

Not too sure what you mean by that statement. Look in a catalog with friction loss charts........... sizing up pipe always decreases the velocity and psi loss for a given gpm.

lush96

Advanced Member

Monday, March 20th 2006, 5:35pm

just do the tests i said, and you will see that i am right. charts and the like never compare to real life experience. psi will always remain the same. velocity and flow are 2 totally different things. AGAIN.......do the five gallon bucket test i said above. this guy needs more hands on experience and common sense. i am right.....he is wrong. next

lush96

Advanced Member

Monday, March 20th 2006, 5:42pm

so according to tom, if you were working with a 2 inch main......sizing the pipe down to as small as you can get it will increase flow. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. makes me wonder why big pipe is used with big mains such as in commercial applications. hey tom, try sizing the pipe down on a 2 inch main and i will keep mine 2 inch. I GUARANTEE you that i will be able to put more heads on a zone. try another profession.

BSME

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 2:46am

I think Tom just got FPS (feet per second) mixed up with GPM... easy mistake

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 4:53am

lush96 stated "psi will always remain the same" - you ought to clarify that you are talking about static psi.....

lush96, i never stated that "sizing the pipe down will increase the flow", of course it will decrease it, not sure where you read that, it will however increase the velocity!

Rate this thread