You are not logged in.

snmhanson

Tuesday, July 20th 2004, 5:23am

Splitting Risers

I recently installed a system at our house and everything seems to be working as planned for the most part. One issue I am having, however, is an area of about 30' wide by 6' deep not getting water. This was expected as we were going to just put rocks or bark there but now we decided it would be nice to have grass. This is directly next to a zone with rotors and three rotors are on the edge of the zone right next to the unwatered area. So my question is, can I T off from the funny pipe on those rotors to install some pop-ups with strip heads in them? Or will this result in unsatisfactory performance from the rotors (and pop-ups)? I know it's tabboo to even use rotors in this zone but I don't really have any other choice. I want to try to avoid digging too much out to expand the pvc so I was hoping to be able to just split off from the risers in this case. Thanks for any advice.

Matt

bobw

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 20th 2004, 7:34am

You're in a tough spot. Because rotors spread water around instead of just watering one spot like pop ups do, they only put out abut 1/3 or so of the amount of water per square inch per minute of pop ups. If you try to mix the two types of heads on one line, you will find that you will be grossly overwatering the area coverd by the pop ups.

snmhanson

Tuesday, July 20th 2004, 12:14pm

That's what I was thinking, however, I really don't have any alternative to get water there. My only thought is that I would have only one spray head with strip valve covering the area. Maybe two but I wouldn't have them overlap more than a foot or so. If I'm getting double to triple coverage with the rotors spaced head to head maybe it will be close. I haven't looked at the precipitation rate of the pop ups with strip heads yet. Maybe I'll do that right now...

Matt

Rate this thread