You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

OscarNav

Wednesday, July 21st 2004, 7:56pm

Patching bare spots on lawn....

How much should i water these spots, patches? The back of the lamn seed bag says "frequent light waterings" but it does not say anything about a time frame. Can anybody answer this?

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 22nd 2004, 3:58am

Just wet it to the point where it does not run the seed. We usually set cycles of 8-10 minutes on new seed until it comes in

OscarNav

Thursday, July 22nd 2004, 6:03pm

How many times a day........? Every other day...? Also, how much seed show i spred...? Just a tad or cake the seed on? Thanks for your replies.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, July 26th 2004, 4:58am

Ideally the seed would be constantly moist. When I added some grass this spring I set my timer for 3 times a day every day. If you can wait fall is a much better time for germination due to cooler temps that reduces evaporation. Another suggestion is if these are small areas I think it is scotts that makes a good patching product that incorporates a substance like mulch that helps to retain water and this may work better in the summer.
Thanks,

Pete

OscarNav

Monday, July 26th 2004, 6:55pm

Thanks for your replies......Now do i cake the seed on or spred it lightly? Last time i did this i had all kinds of patches with grass growing and some bare spots where i tried to fix the bare spots....Suggestions?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 27th 2004, 5:11am

I have found it doesnt hurt to spread it heavily. But you need to ask yourself why do you have bare spots to begin. There are tons of possibilites in my mind Siol conditions? insects? disease? traffic? I am not sure about southern grasses but most northern grasses spread and if there are no underlying problems these bare spots would fill in on their own. Just give this some thought.
Thanks,

Pete

OscarNav

Wednesday, July 28th 2004, 6:56pm

Thanks for the info...

nestors

Advanced Member

Thursday, December 9th 2004, 8:42am

6-10 minutes 2-3 x daily
keep wheat straw on top
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting