You are not logged in.

BradK

Tuesday, July 27th 2004, 7:35am

Bursting Poly pipe

I have had a number of bursts in underground in the poly pipe around T-fittings the last several years. I have had my sprinkers commercially blown-out well before the first freeze, but every summer, after the system has run a few months, I get a sink holes and water bubbles in the lawn. And its always the same problem: the poly pipe has a split running from just under the metal collar straight along the T- fitting. The builder claims the air pressure from having the system blown is to blame--but my neighbors have used the same outfit w/o problem. (The builder put in all front sprinker systems in the subdivision. Any thoughts?

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 27th 2004, 10:52am

Is it your fitting or pipe that is ripping. You might of ended up with some bad pipe or the installer torched it to much which decreases the density and strength of the pipe

BradK

Tuesday, July 27th 2004, 11:59am

The pipe is failing. The clamp rings or collars are intact (they are not the screw-adjust type-just single position). When you say torched--do you mean the poly pipe is heated in order to make it easier to insert the plastic fitting into the poly pipe?

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 28th 2004, 5:08am

Yup! Pipe manufacturers do not recommend heating but most contractors do to assist in slipping on fittings ( we do). But it smust be quick and minimal heat.

Rate this thread