You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jhickman

Tuesday, August 3rd 2004, 6:12pm

PGP Rotors - How many in zone?

****o, just a quick question about whether or not 3 PGPs per zone is advisible with a 65psi/15gpm main line and a total of two zones. I need to get a maximum throw of about 40' in the corners to get head-to-head coverage. The area itself is about 42'x66', and the layout is something like this:

x-----33-------x-------33------x
- -
- -
42' -
- -
- -
x-------------x----------------x

Thx!

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, August 4th 2004, 4:25am

If you truly have the 15gpm, you can run all six on one zone but just three would be fine also

jhickman

Wednesday, August 4th 2004, 5:51am

Thx for the reply and advice Aquamatic! After doing a little more research, I'm probably down to about 13gpm or so when all is said and done, and in my front lawn I'm running 6 mini8s with about 25' being about the longest throw between them and they seem to work just fine. I just thought the PGPs would work even better if I split them up in the back into two zones allowing me to get longer, more consistent distances, up in the 47' range, whereas 41' is about the longest I have. I just wanted someone like yourself to reaffirm my initial thoughts and perhaps add more as you did.

Thx!

jhickman

Wednesday, August 4th 2004, 5:55am

Also...do you think it would be ok to stay with the 1" poly I've been using and will I really see any improvements going to 1 1/4 with only 3 PGPs per zone?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 4th 2004, 9:01am

15 gpm is a lot for 1 inch. The velocity of the water moving through 1 inch is pushing the limits. From this stand point go with 1.25. Now on the other hand you dont use the 5 gpm nozzles and do the 3 gpms you will be ok with 1 inch.
Thanks,

Pete

jhickman

Wednesday, August 4th 2004, 10:07am

Thx! Being that I just buried the takeoff portion of my backyard run, I guess I'll just stick with 1". It seems rather odd to go from 1" out of the PVB, size up to 1.25 for 20ft, reduce to 1" for the valves and size up to 1.25 for the lateral runs to the sprinklers. I guess I should be able to find a nozzle or two that will work out of the 12, including the low angle nozzles. Do you think it would be worth it to go with 1.25 at least after the valve box? Let me know before I'm off to home depot to buy the poly.

Thx all in advance!

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 5th 2004, 9:36am

From the sounds of it I think it makes sence to stay with 1 inch unless you have a very long run after your valve box.
Thanks,

Pete

jhickman

Thursday, August 19th 2004, 6:50am

Thx to all who assited me with this decision. I went ahead and stayed with the 1", put 3PGPs per zone for a total of two zones and voila, the backyard is now fully irrigated. I have a putting green in the backyard as well, right in the middle actually, so it's nice that the PGPs throw up, over, and on that as well the rest of the lawn. I might, just might add two PGJs in the middle left and right (see below) but I'm not sure if those are truly necessary, but then again, my head-to-head coverage is off by about 3ft between the two zones. Thoughts, ideas are appreciated...let me know...

Zone 1
x-------------------x-----------------------x
- -
- -
- -
0 <-Proposed PGJ (<-Zone3->) Proposed PGJ-> 0
- -
- -
- -
x-------------------x-----------------------x
Zone 2

Robbies

Tuesday, April 19th 2005, 2:17pm

but only putting 3 on the zone that means each sprinkler will be be 5gpm. If you used 3 that is only 9 gpm and 6 gpm remains. Your pump will turn on and off and you will not get a constant pressure.

Someone clarify this for me......

I am pretty sure that you must use all gpm in the zone. That is what i was told. If you do not you will wreck your pump. You can go like 1-2 under tho and the pump will still stay on.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 21st 2005, 5:42am

I think he is working off of city water and that is a different beast.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread