You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bob Heaney

Starting Member

Thursday, August 5th 2004, 9:09am

In-Line vs. Anti-siphon

I have anti-siphon type valves and have replaced the heads with automatic units. The automatic heads I am using are Champion and Orbit. They seem to work great when they are new, but tend to work poorly over time, until finally not allowing the sprinkler to come on at all. This happens over many months. I have found that if I remove the solenoid and drill out the hole in the valve seat just slightly, the valve starts to work properly again. If you drill out the hole too much, you ruin the valve completely because the plunger on the solenoid doesn’t seat properly. We have a high degree of calcium build-up in our water system. This is such a pain that I am thinking about re-building the entire manifold section and starting with a whole new setup.

My question is: Are in-line valves more reliable than anti-siphon type valves and do their actuating valves work differently?

Rate this thread