You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ALEXANDER

Monday, December 24th 2001, 9:37am

Metal vs Non-Metal Risers

I'm looking to put a new installation of an automatic sprinkler
system on my property. I am trying to find out if metal risers on
rotors are worth the added cost. One of my friends said its a good
idea because you can easily tell if any of the heads didn't fully
retract (especially before cutting the grass). My friends all agree that it makes the riser more duriable. However, my friends are split on steels ability to perserve the sprinkler seals; some said
that it might cause excessive wear in normal dirt conditions and that
it might corrode and loose its self cleaning ability upon retraction.
So, which is better plastic or steel?

JA
JA

Wednesday, December 26th 2001, 10:17am

Using rotors with the stainless steel riser option is a great idea if you do not mind the added expense. The stainless steel riser adds to the duriablity of the riser. I have no data that suggests the seal is any different between using a plastic riser or stainless steel riser. The stainless steel riser will not corrode and loose its self cleaning ability upon retraction.

I personally use the stainless steel rotors when possible since the added cost is so small.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, May 16th 2003, 3:03pm

Stainless steel or plastic is a matter of oponion and what the wallet can afford, If you are going stainless steel (which if possible i would) id use the Hunter I-20, or the 5000 Rainbird Plus rotor

They look nice too!

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Rate this thread