You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rbgore

Thursday, April 4th 2002, 8:22am

wiper seal problem?

I have a newly installed irrigation system that includes 13 zones of Rainbird 5000 series rotors. Two zones either do not fully deploy (pop-up)at all or take 7 - 10 minutes to fully deploy. The problem seems to be water flowing out of the outer casing at the top when the inner casing partially deploys. This seems to allow too much water flow and prevents the "pop-up" from fully deploying. If I push one of the head down and hold it, that produces enough flow in the zone for all to properly deploy. These zones seem to be the only sprinklers that do this (10 sprinklers total). Is this a wiper seal problem or should I check for some other problem ? How do I correct problem?(manually holding the pop-up down is not really a solution - is it)

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 4th 2002, 12:44pm

Boy, I hate to tell you this but it sounds like those two zones may have been underbuilt. What I mean by this is that there is not enough flow to run those heads. We see this sometimes when the total GPM of the zone is larger than it should be. i.e.....5 heads at 3 gallons per minute each and 3/4 cl.200 pipe. Whoops!

Check the nozzles on the sprinklers and make sure they are the right size. http://www.rainbird.com/popCharts.asp?Page=5000_chart

Find out what nozzle you should be using for the distance the heads are spaced. Maybe the nozzles are the wrong ones and you can change the nozzles to smaller ones. Might help.

Or better yet.........call the LICENSED CONTRACTOR who installed it?

Sprinklersolutions.net

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

rbgore

Friday, April 5th 2002, 2:36am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Steve - thanks for the info - I'll spare you the pain and suffering already inflicted by the highly recommended (and licensed) contractor who installed it. I have enough info now to flog them again and see if they can fix it. BTW - all other zones are 5 heads (identical 5000 Series Rainbirds), so the nozzle angle sounds more likely...

Boy, I hate to tell you this but it sounds like those two zones may have been underbuilt. What I mean by this is that there is not enough flow to run those heads. We see this sometimes when the total GPM of the zone is larger than it should be. i.e.....5 heads at 3 gallons per minute each and 3/4 cl.200 pipe. Whoops!

Check the nozzles on the sprinklers and make sure they are the right size. http://www.rainbird.com/popCharts.asp?Page=5000_chart

Find out what nozzle you should be using for the distance the heads are spaced. Maybe the nozzles are the wrong ones and you can change the nozzles to smaller ones. Might help.

Or better yet.........call the LICENSED CONTRACTOR who installed it?

Sprinklersolutions.net

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Edited by - rbgore on Apr 05 2002 08:39:52 AM

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Friday, April 5th 2002, 3:16am

huh??????

Sprinklersolutions.net

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

rbgore

Friday, April 5th 2002, 3:46am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Didn't mean to confuse... I have 13 zones of Rainbird 5000 series rotors - each (and every) zone has 5 sprinklers in it. Only two of the zones don't operate properly. In these two zones, water gushes out of the sprinklers (particluarly in the first sprinkler downstream from the control valve) in the gap between the outer casing and the partially deployed inner casing. If I hold one of the heads down to reduce the "leakage" all of the heads fully deploy (including the one I am holding down, when released) and the zone works fine. Since the water pressure / flow is sufficient to run the other 11 zones properly and the radii are all approximately the same on all heads - the nozzle selection for those zones seems to be the place to look. The control valves on this system do not seem to have any pressure / flow adjustment features.

So far, the contractor has missed some installation appointments, caused a flooded basement, had to rework part of the installation, one group claiming the other group didn't finish their part and rescheduling their work... The irrigation engineer that quoted and designed the job seems top notch - the Keystone Cops that installed it on the other hand...

I know, too much information...

huh??????

Sprinklersolutions.net

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 17th 2003, 3:07pm

If the others fully deploy, id check for leaks in those lines, let the zone run for about 1/2 hour while you wait and walk around to see if there are any line breaks, or you can use smaller nozzles, or better yet, get 5000SAM rotors which have a check valve at the bottom of the head, which will allow water to build up, and that may fix your problem

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Rate this thread