You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Admin

Administrator

Friday, September 17th 2004, 4:55am

How many valves will 18/7 Multi Strand run?

I was wondering if you could tell me how many valves can be controlled by the 18-7 direct burial multi strand irrigation wire?

Scott
SprinklerTalk.com

Admin

Administrator

Friday, September 17th 2004, 4:56am

You can control 6 valves with 18/7 wire. You need to use one of the 7 wires as the ground (common) wire. That leaves you with 6 hot wires to use one per valve.

The ground wire just goes from the controller to the closest valve then continues to the next valve and then the next until you reach the farthest valve. Anotherwords, one ground wire that runs from valve to valve and then to the controller.

The hot wires are ran differently. You run one hot wire from the zone 1 output of the controller to the zone one valve. Then you run one hot wire from the zone 2 output of the controller to the zone two valve. You repeat this until all the valves have a hot wire running to them. Anotherwords, you need a separate wire running from the controller to each valve.

It is Highly Suggested...let me repeat that...It is Highly Suggested that you use multi strand wire that has at least 1 or 2 extra wires. This will give you an insurance policy if you will. If you ever have trouble with one of your wires in the future, you will be able to use one of the extra wires to fix the problem rather than having to re-run wire from the valve to the controller.

[:)][:)][:)]
SprinklerTalk.com

jpeter

Friday, September 17th 2004, 8:59am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Admin</i>
<br />You can control 6 valves with 18/7 wire. You need to use one of the 7 wires as the ground (common) wire. That leaves you with 6 hot wires to use one per valve.

The ground wire just goes from the controller to the closest valve then continues to the next valve and then the next until you reach the farthest valve. Anotherwords, one ground wire that runs from valve to valve and then to the controller.

The hot wires are ran differently. You run one hot wire from the zone 1 output of the controller to the zone one valve. Then you run one hot wire from the zone 2 output of the controller to the zone two valve. You repeat this until all the valves have a hot wire running to them. Anotherwords, you need a separate wire running from the controller to each valve.

It is Highly Suggested...let me repeat that...It is Highly Suggested that you use multi strand wire that has at least 1 or 2 extra wires. This will give you an insurance policy if you will. If you ever have trouble with one of your wires in the future, you will be able to use one of the extra wires to fix the problem rather than having to re-run wire from the valve to the controller.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I am sorry i thought I read 8 strand

6 zones is correct unless you connect 2 valves in the system on the same zone. Then you could run 7 zones.

jpeter

Friday, September 17th 2004, 9:19am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jpeter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Admin</i>
<br />You can control 6 valves with 18/7 wire. You need to use one of the 7 wires as the ground (common) wire. That leaves you with 6 hot wires to use one per valve.

I am sorry i thought I read 8 strand

6 zones is correct unless you connect 2 valves in the system on the same zone. Then you could run 7 zones.

The reason why you would run 2 zones off the same wire would be if you had pop up zones 1804 rainbird head on both sides of the house and you didn't want to run pipe to connect them because of ease purposes. You would probably have 2 valve boxes on oppisite sides of the house in the valvle boxs you would have 2 valves running the same zone, but the valves are in different valve boxes. This can be a little confusing so if you have any question reply back.

Rate this thread