You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, October 14th 2004, 5:22am

Planted grass seed...now what?

Hi all-
Well, I tilled the yard, installed the sprinkler system, fertilized, put down some seed, and put peat moss on top of that. Now I water twice a day, 5 minutes each. The grass is coming up, although somewhat sparse in places, thicker in others. It's been about 2 weeks.

So my question is, should I reseed the areas that are a little thin--or is this normal? Any thoughts on the watering schedule---should I go to once a day, 10 minutes? I am trying to keep the soil moist, hence the twice a day watering.

Thanks for all the great help![:D]

BTanner

Saturday, October 16th 2004, 3:35am

Give it time, if you soed the seed evenly it'll grow. I'm not sure about your climate or the grass type planted, but it is important to establish a good root system now that it's up. Most recommend less frequent watering but longer times. The object is to keep the soil damp around the 6 inch range to establish a good root that will ensure survival through the winter or dormant months. Watering often but only for short times only promotes a shallow root growth. Ex. three to four times a day for only 5 min. each.[^]

Depending on your soil type, you may have to water in cycles. Example; Once a day for 15-20 min. (Need to water for 20min) If your having water runoff after watering for only 5 min., than set you start times close together. Water for 5 min. let the controller start again in say 15-20 min. for another 5 min. and then repeat again until you have applied the correct amount of water. This allows the water to soak in before appling more, because once the water starts to shed, appling more does no good.[:D]

Monday, October 18th 2004, 5:32am

Great, thanks fireman[8D]

nestors

Advanced Member

Thursday, December 9th 2004, 8:38am

reseed and water 2-3 x daily but only for about 6-10 minutes make sure you wheat straw over the seed so birds wil not eat it up plus the straw keeps the moisture

Nestor's Landscape And Irrigation
Atlanta,Ga
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

huanic

Friday, November 13th 2009, 1:03am

I'm not sure about your climate or the grass type planted, but it is important to establish a good root system now that it's up. Most recommend less frequent watering but longer times. The object is to keep the soil damp around the 6 inch range to establish a good root that will ensure survival through the winter or dormant months. Watering often but only for short times only promotes a shallow root growth. Ex. three to four times a day for only 5 min. each.[^]

Rate this thread