You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Stoessel

Sunday, November 14th 2004, 8:36am

How do I disable an individual sprinkler

I have a sprinkler system that works fine. Trouble is I have now installed an emergency power system and one of the sprinkler heads is located close to the power system. I would like to permanently disable that one sprinkler. I tried to purchase a simple cap for the pop-up tube, but could not find one.

(a) What is the best way to accomplish my objective?

(b) If the answer is replace the nozzle with a cap, where can I get one? I believe the pop-up is a Rain Bird, approximately 1/2 inch OD.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ed

BLUELINE

Tuesday, November 16th 2004, 1:43pm

SPRINKLER SHOPS SELL CAPS FOR POLY PIPE. CHECK YOUR PHONEBOOK FOR A SPRINKLER SUPPLY COMPANY.

nestors

Advanced Member

Thursday, December 9th 2004, 8:06am

Remove sprinkler head it should have either a 1/2" or 3/4" thread place the threaded cap on and tighten down , you can get a threaded cap @ any Hardware store ,Home Depot or Lowes.

Nestor's Irrigation
Georgia
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

Stoessel

Friday, December 10th 2004, 3:41pm

I have been to hardware stores, Home Depot and Lowes without finding the cap. I bought what I thought would do the job, a 1/2 pvc cap, but it was too large. I can find replacement sprinkler heads of various kinds, but nothing that will simply plug the riser and stop the flow of water.

nestors

Advanced Member

Thursday, April 7th 2005, 9:08am

either a 1/2" or a 3/4" threaded cap.
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

Stoessel

Thursday, April 7th 2005, 3:58pm

I now have two solutions that work.

1. Easy one that nobody mentioned: install a sprinkler head on top of the riser, and turn the adjustment screw fully clockwise. This effectively shuts the sprinkler head off. No cost involved.

2. Dig up the space around the riser and remove the riser. THEN the caps that responders were telling me to get will work. Those "caps" will not install on top of the riser. Not knowing what I was doing, I was asking for a cap that would accomplish method 1 above. Not available.

I ended up getting my installation contractor out to cure some other problems I was having, and he told me how to do the above. I did solution 1 and it did work, but since he was there anyway, he did the more professional job, solution 2, for me.[:)]

Thanks for all the responses. This one is now ready for the archive.

Rate this thread