You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sprinkleman

Starting Member

Friday, December 24th 2004, 12:52pm

HELP! Newbie here... Zone turned on by itself

Moved into a new house w/ existing system. Came home to find one of my zones sprinkling away, even though the system is turned off (on my Irritrol Rain Dial controller). Valve to zone was open, so I shut the valve. Problem solved temporarily...

Now I'm concerned about the system freezing, since there's obviously water in the pipes. Temperature was in single digits for past 2 days, but should be above freezing for a day or 2. What do I do now to keep the system from freezing up when the temperature drops again? Would a freeze cause major system damage? Do I call someone to come check it out?

in6095

Saturday, January 1st 2005, 8:27am

1. Your sprinklers water supply is turned on????, if the temp is getting low your PVB (pressure vacuum breaker) needs to be drained ASAP!!!!
2. You need to find out if your system is “self draining” or “blow out” type. If you have self-draining, the only thing you will have to worry about is the PVB. This may be mounted on the house or in some type of meter pit box. If you have blow out type, you will have to call sprinkler contractor to have this blown out ASAP. Water in pipe can cause Major Damage. You can find this info out by calling the previous homeowner or looking for some type of tag on the controller. This may tell you what sprinkler contractor has done service on your system in the past.
3. Your sprinkler controller was maybe “calling” for that zone, if you say it was shut off. You could check the “manual bleed” on the valve. It could also been stuck on from the last time you turned it on.

good luck.. hope this helps

Rate this thread