You are not logged in.

cono

Thursday, December 30th 2004, 10:40am

help needed: How to find a small leak

Hi everybody. I use well water in my home, and all my sprinklers were working perfectly, all the lawn covered, etc. (*sheds tear*).
One day I turn on the system, and I notice that some sprinklers were not watering the way they used to. Before, they were watering like 15 ft away, and now they are reaching areas 8ft away only.
I turned on the system and waited, trying to find the source of the leak by looking for big deposits of water along the line, but I couldn't find it. It looks like the leak is small enough not to create a tiny lagoon, but big enough to lower the pressure.

I am a total newbie and I have no idea on how to troubleshoot this. I searched on google but couldn't find any troubleshooting guides nor anything like it.

Any help/advice will be welcome, thanks for the time.

in6095

Saturday, January 1st 2005, 8:38am

Do you have “hard” water out of the well? I will assume that the heads you are talking about are spray heads? Typically if you have a leak that is significant enough to cause loss of psi, you would be able to find it.

I would check out the nozzles that are connected to your spray heads. They could be corroded or clogged. Try replacing one of the filters and nozzles to see if this helps. Only do one for now. Each nozzle will cost around $1.20-2.50 each.

Good luck.

cono

Monday, January 3rd 2005, 1:59am

don't ask me how he got in there, but a snail was in the pipe, obstructing the flow. I removed a sprinkler, started up the zone, and then I put it back. One sprinkler at a time and only one out each time. One of the sprinklers had no flow, and suddenly BAM!. A snail went flying, and everything was back to normal.

thanks for your reply in6095!

Rate this thread