You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tizeye

Monday, January 3rd 2005, 11:46am

Square and rectangle patterns

After pump installed, had Rainbird, Toro, and Orbit 'recommend' a system. The plans helped me with the rotors coverage, but have concern about the pop-up coverage along the street and narrow side of house. Each developed a two circuits on the sidewalk to street section (8' wide front street section and 9' wide side street and 300 feet long) and used overlapping semicircles with heads along sidwalk and street. Toro got really creative on the 9' wide section, and almost what I was thinking, using twin 4x30's placed a few feet apart, then repeated 15' later for that 140' run.

I was thinking using 9x15 Rainbird or 9x18 Toro rectangular pattern side strip. Not only would it decrease the # of heads and piping, it would take all the heads off the street, placing them along the sidewalk spraying towards the street. I e-mailed Toro asking about it and their reply was to keep it as drawn, aluding to a coverage issue if I used 9x18' placed 9' apart.

I guess my question is: 1) is there a coverage issue with overlapping 9' rectangular pattern where the overlapping semicircle is better? Did Toro not want to admit that there was a more efficient and cheaper way than drawn?

Additionally, Rainbird makes a 15x15 square pattern. Any problen using that down the left property line that is 15 ft to house/driveway in lieu of the half circles down both the property line and house/driveway?

Thanks.

in6095

Wednesday, January 5th 2005, 8:12am

I am an irrigation designer and I recommend not using the square patterns, nothing can spray a square pattern. You end up getting a bowtie effect. You end up lacking water on the edges. I would recommend using half circle patterns. This will give you the best coverage possible. My rule of thumb is, if you are spraying more than 10 ft, you should have a double row. If it is under 10 single row is fine.

Also, I would go with a Toro MPR nozzle. MPR stands for Matched Precipitation Rate. This will insure you that every nozzle will be putting down the same amount of water per sq/ft. Unlike other brands you get more water out of an 8’ nozzle than you get out of a 15’ nozzle. This will allow the installer to put different nozzles on the same zone and get the same precipitation rate across the yard. Hope this helps ya out.

tizeye

Wednesday, January 5th 2005, 3:32pm

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Don't look forward to putting appox 30 heads along the street to become road kill. There is no raised curb, just a concrete edgeing to the asphalt, coupled with that property line bowing out for road curvature - but cars go straight beating down the grass at the edge. Would have been sweet if the 9x18 performed to standard.

in6095

Wednesday, January 5th 2005, 4:20pm

how wide did you say the the area from street to side walk?

in6095

Wednesday, January 5th 2005, 4:30pm

I guess you already posted this info. If it is 8' from street to walk. Use 10-H nozzle (10 feet radius- Half circle) spaced 8' on the sidewalk side throwing into the street. This will give you good coverage with out the risk of heads on the street side.

If it measures 9' use a 10-h or 12-h. Spaced at 9'. This will spray a little water into the street, but will cover pretty well.

Spray heads put out very high precip rate. As long as you are under 10' or less this will work fine.

tizeye

Thursday, January 6th 2005, 2:49am

The 10H's actually makes sense. I don't care if there is a little water on the street, rolling back to edge - particurally when it is unmetered well water.

Got graph paper and compass out and drew to scale to see what the model would look like. Compared 10' head to head spacing with the suggested 8' and 9' spacing. With 10' spacing, the overlapping arcs on the 9' wide section intersected right at the curb. On the narrower 8' section, the same overlapping arcs/curb occured with 11' spacing, but keep 10' for head to head and the added benefit of not having to cut/extend PVC for the extra foot.

The advantage of the 8 and 9 spacing as suggested, despite a little more on the road, there is is a smaller area of single spray beyond the two arcs and creates a triple spray area near the head. PVC pipe isn't really an issue, as I plan to buy 20' PVC with the flared end. Cut to length and have at most 1 joining section between heads with the flared end providing less friction than the standard joining of 10' PVC.

Also, the 10H's supports more heads per circuit with 0.71GPM vs. 9x18's (also spaced 9' apart) with 1.20GPM at 30PSI.

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, January 10th 2005, 12:18pm

Never use heads on only 1 side of a long strip of grass. You will not get even watering.

I would space the heads every 10' on both sides, but triangulate the spacing

in6095

Monday, January 10th 2005, 3:50pm

Tom
Did you read his post? He does not want heads on the street side. We all understand that throwing from both sides is the "ideal" thing to do. Throwing from one side to the street is the next best thing! This is still better than using 9x18 cst’s

COOPER

Friday, January 28th 2005, 6:04pm

What if we have a strip of grass on the side of the house. (4'strip of grass, each side has a fence and the house on the other). What kind of spray heads would you recommend? We have 4 inch sure-pop rainbird halfs but it is spraying too far. Should we get 2 inch? Or would that not be tall enough when the grass grows? Thanks for your help.

Rate this thread