You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ejzajac

Tuesday, February 15th 2005, 8:17am

Depth of lines?

Any guidelines for the depth of main lines (1 1/4" PVC) and lateral (1" poly) in northwest Iowa with very soft/sandy and hilly conditions?

Arizona Mirage

Starting Member

Wednesday, February 16th 2005, 4:25am

Do you get freezing there? If so your minimum should be at 24" to keep from freezing, weither you winterize the system or not.If you don't get freezing then 12 to 18 inches will be sufficient enough.I hope that this helps.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, February 21st 2005, 5:32am

If what you are calling "main lines" is the pipe that proceedes the valves (i.e. lines under constant pressure), from what I've been told, the uniform plumbing code requires PVC main lines to be at least 18" underground.

If what you are calling "main lines" is just the primary distribution line that comes AFTER the valves, then it's back to what your weather is like.

mburnickas

Friday, April 1st 2005, 3:47am

in the state of MA, so far all the contractors I know only do it the depth the machine installs the 1" PVC, 8 to 12" inches MAX.
Thanks
Mike
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"--Airplane

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 2nd 2005, 12:07pm

Here in Northern Michigan we install the lines to a standard depth of about 12" all around. With proper winterizing, this is sufficient. All the local contractors in this area install between 8-16".
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread