You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Buster

Wednesday, March 2nd 2005, 11:03am

Sprinklers come on by themselves!

I have 9 valves of sprinklers controlled by an Irritrol RD-900. My sprinklers are turning on by themselves - even when the controller is set to "off" my sprinklers still come on, and at random times for random durations. I've already replaced the controller, but the problem is still happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm a complete novice, but would like to try to troubleshoot this myself if possible. I asked my landscaper about it and he didn't think there was anything wrong.

Thanks.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 3rd 2005, 4:49pm

Buster -
If you have already replaced the controller, I would suggest that the problem is most likely in your valves. Are zones just randomly turning on, or do they go in a methodical order? If your controller is in the off position and your valves still turn on, the particular zone or zones that are turning on may have either sticking valves or a bad solenoid. There is also a possibility that your system may have a short in the wiring, which is causing this to happen. What is your static water pressure, and how old is the system?
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Buster

Friday, March 4th 2005, 7:16am

Thanks for the response! The system is probably about 7 years old (we didn't install it, the previous owners did). I'm not sure what our static water pressure is - how would I figure that out? I know when we first moved in, it was much lower than normal, and the water company came out and adjusted it for us to what they described as a "normal" level.

I'm suspecting a bad valve or solenoid as well, but I'm not quite sure how to check either (and I'm not really sure what a sprinkler solenoid looks like). The zones just turn on randomly, and it seems to be just 2 of them, as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Friday, March 4th 2005, 6:30pm

I would suspect if your water pressure is within the normal levels, that you can eliminate that as a problem. Sometimes a very high water pressure will cause this to happen. A solenoid is what screws into the top of your valve and connects it to the controller to operate it. There should be two wires coming off of the solenoid. One of the wires connects to the COMMON wire, and the other connects to the actual ZONE wire. Depending on what brand your valves are, I would say they should last more than seven years, but not all of them do. Check to make sure there is a good wire connection to the solenoids. If that still doesn't fix the problem, you may want to replace the valves. Let me know how it goes.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread