You are not logged in.

subopt

Wednesday, September 22nd 2010, 6:04pm

Replacing Rainbirds with Hunter PGPs

I'd like to replace 3 Rainbird maxi-paw impacts with Hunter PGPs. One Rainbird doesn't retract, and the other one doesn't rotate. The Hunter PGPs run flawlessly and are quiet so seems to be a no brainer. What I'm wondering is, aside from the PGPs, what parts do I need to perform this conversion? Should I first dig up the Rainbirds first to determine the depth or is it standard. Thanks.

mrfixit

Thursday, September 23rd 2010, 1:58am

You definetly have to dig it up to see what you'll need. Maxi-Paws have two inlets. You need to see how it's connected. Nothing's standard. Swing joints are probably your best bet.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/search/search2.asp?Extensive_Search2=N&keywords=hunter+swing+joints

You could convert your existing Maxi-Paws to PGP's without doing any digging with retrofit rotors. You would need a tool to unscrew the innards of the Maxi-Paw. Clean it out with a hose first.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-PGP-ATR-PGP-Impact-Replacement-Rotor-p/pgp-atr.htm

subopt

Thursday, September 23rd 2010, 10:26am

Ok thanks. Actually only one is a maxi paw -- the other two are Rainbird impacts with no model #. They just say Glendora, CA and have a patent # -- probably very old.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 24th 2010, 9:37am

Just install new heads and don't bother with adapter(s)

Rate this thread