You are not logged in.

sillymonkeycat

Starting Member

Thursday, April 8th 2004, 8:03am

main line sizing?

First I'd like to thank you for all the information and support available on this site. Now for my question...I will be running a main line around my yard and off of that line I will locate my valves for the zones, what is the typical size of poly used? Should I go with 1-1/4" for the main line or can I just go with 1" so I'm dealing with one size pipe? I'm using a well point for my source with a pump and pressure tank set-up. A 1-1/4" would provide more volume but would it be necessary using the pressure tank? I would just as soon go with a 1" poly if I could get away with it and I'm not sure about price difference between the two sizes. Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to provide more info!
Oh, one more thing...since I'm going with pe pipe I'd like to use a master valve at the source. I've only seen valves as large as 1" and if this is the case reducing from 1-1/4" to 1" and back to 1-1/4" would significantly reduce pressure would it not. What is done in this case?
thanks again!

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Thursday, April 8th 2004, 10:03am

It depends on what your GPM is and the run length to figure out any pressure losses that would occur which then would make sense going to a 1". If your drawing from a well, I'm assuming your GPM's are average for 1" pipe

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, April 12th 2004, 5:08am

Also I dont see the need for a pressure tank because they are used to keep your system from cycling on and off like when you flush a toilet or run a faucet. For irrigation you will design it so when your system comes on the pump will start and it will shut off when you are done irrigating.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread