You are not logged in.

mmount

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 1:21pm

Changing Control Valve Brand

Can I replace a Toro Valve with a Hunter Valve, this forum and my experience indicates Hunter is a higher quality product, in general.

I want to replace two Toro control valves for use with an Toro Vision 1 Sprinkler Timer/Controller (Model 188-96-02, Serial 38613). While it is tough to confirm, I believe the current valve is the Toro 254-16-04. The sprinkler warehouse apparently does not handle this valve model but I have found it elsewhere.

Would the Hunter PGV Male Thread x Barb Control Valve, PGV-101MB offer an acceptable alternative that will work with my Toro Timer/Controller?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 3:40pm

It's a whole lot easier to get another Toro valve, and just switch out the guts. A pro would only replace what was needed, likely a diaphragm or a solenoid. Not every Toro product is a dud.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 6:46pm

Is the valve itself not working, or you just want to replace it with a higher quality product. Like Wetboots said, especially if the valves are close together, you are going to have one heck of a time tearing everything apart to replace the valves. I would keep the valve bodies and just replace the internals of the valves still using Toro.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

mmount

Friday, September 2nd 2005, 1:32pm

Thanks for the rapid and on-point response. Sorry it took me this long to acknowledge your helpful advise.

Rate this thread