You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-8 of 8.

Saturday, May 7th 2011, 8:35pm

Author: SNG

Fixed spray head fizzled out

Never mind ... I unscrewed the head, cleaned it, and now it works fine again.... duh.

Saturday, May 7th 2011, 7:55pm

Fixed spray head fizzled out

Hi, On one zone I have four fixed spray heads (I believe they are Hunter). Last season they all worked great, but this season, the one farthest down the line was shooting out water very weakly. The other three still work great. Today the far one doesn't shoot water at all. Any ideas about how to fix it - is it likely clogged... if so how do I clean it? Thanks

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 8:00pm

Thumping/Knocking Noise in Pipes for a Few Seconds when Valve Opens/Zone Comes on

I believe I have fixed the problem. And the solution could not have been simpler. I started thinking that this all started happening a year and a half ago, when our PRV stopped working, and I had a plumber replace it. Today I put a gauge on our hose bib, and saw that the house pressure was 80 psi (Only a little lower than the incoming 90-100). I think he adjusted it so that we'd have a lot of house pressure without it being so high as to cause water hammer. I got thinking about the theory that t...

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 10:37pm

Thumping/Knocking Noise in Pipes for a Few Seconds when Valve Opens/Zone Comes on

I found another possible solution online - What do you all think of this idea? http://www.rilawnsprinklers.com/blog/2009/07/noisy-pipes-when-irrigation-system-is.html It seems to describe exactly what I'm experiencing. (The paragraph on "System is making a loud noise when the zones are starting, then the noise goes away until the next station/zone starts or only on specific zones.")

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 10:57am

Well, there's already a 3/4 inch copper supply line - I'm hesitant to go replacing that unless it's a surefire solution. What do you think about replacing the valves with ones that have flow control? I've also seen pressure regulators that can be installed on the valves. In your opinion, is it more of an issue of high pressure, or high velocity?

Tuesday, August 3rd 2010, 8:43am

I'm not sure the make and model of the existing heads - whoever lived here before installed them. I recently replaced the lowest heads in Zone 3 & 4 with new Hunter rotors with built in anti-drain check valves, thinking that might solve the problem, but it didn't. The front yard has pop-up spray heads, not sure the make. How could i go about reducing flow in the zones?

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 10:40pm

Valve diaphragms did not fix it - Do you think that it could be that the static pressure of 90+ psi is too much for the system? One sprinkler company suggested that this is too much for a sprinkler system to handle, and that I should install a new pressure reducing valve on the irrigation line, to reduce the pressure to more like 75 - 80 psi. I'm about ready to try that, but I don't want to spend hundreds on a plumber if it's just a shot in the dark. Any thoughts?

Saturday, June 5th 2010, 6:37pm

Hi - We moved into our house 2 years ago. For the first year, the sprinkler system worked without any problems. The next year, the knocking started. Most (but not all) of the time, when a zone comes on and the water starts flowing, there's a loud "Thump thump thump thump" sound that comes from the main sprinkler line from the house, for maybe maybe 2 seconds. After that, it's fine until the next zone starts - then, more thumping. We had a plumber look at our PVB, and it's working fine. We had a ...