You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-12 of 12.

Friday, May 27th 2011, 7:20am

Author: Drought Buster

Design Question for Strip of Grass MP rotator or Traditional?

Hi everyone. My home is on a corner lot and between the sidewalk and the street is a strip of grass that I would like your advice on the best choice to water it. The front of the house has a strip measuring 4.5' x 55' and the side is 4.5' x 120. Originally I thought that I would use the hunter PRS30 head coupled with the traditional center strip and end strip nozzles (cs-530 and es-515) to do the job. Doing that would require 2 zones. However, although I knew about the MP rotator, I did not know...

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 4:09pm

Static Pressure vs. Working Pressure

Hey Readdhead thanks for your input. Yeah, i remember what you said about those cheap gauges staying pegged to the initial pressure reading. I ran a test the first time I read your input. I turned the water on slowly and the gauge read about 52 psi. I then went in the house and turned on a few faucets and the the water in the bath tub and while they were running took another reading and the pressure was like 47. So I guess the gauge I got is a decent one. Nevertheless, when I do this manifold te...

Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 6:08pm

Am I crazy? First of all, thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate your knowledge and experience. I just came up with an idea and want to run it by you for your opinion. I'm probably not the first one to do this but I was thinking of making up a small manifold that I would attach to the PVB about a foot or two away. The manifold would allow for 4 attachments. 3 spots would be occupied by pgp rotors with nozzles that would give me my goal of 15 gpm output and the 4th spot would be the ...

Monday, October 11th 2010, 6:18pm

I think I remember reading in irrigation tutorials that head spacing should not exceed working pressure.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 5:25pm

So If I take 50 static and deduct the meter, mainline, PVB, valves, laterals, etc... I'm down about 15 to 35? Darn, that sucks. Can anyone explain how I have a 5/8 inch meter, 50 psi static, and I can get 25 gpm out of the PVB? Doesn't seem right. Having a hard time accepting that. Seems that with a 5/8 inch meter and 50 static I should be only getting maybe 12 gpm. I wonder if the pressure gauge is just wrong and the pressure is actually higher. Will the PGP work properly at 35 psi?

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 2:07pm

So I bought a water pressure gauge and attached it to the outlet on the PVB and got a static pressure of about 50-52 psi depending on when I measure it. From there I plan on using 1-1/4 inch piping throughout, 1" valves, and pgp heads and a max of 15 gpm for any zone. You might recall from another thread that my 5 gal bucket test gave 25 gpm but I will only use 15 gpm. So to calculate my working pressure do I deduct pressure loss only from everything that is downstream from where I measured the ...

Friday, October 8th 2010, 8:05pm

Static Pressure

Wet Boots: Thanks. I will take your advice and not exceed 15 gpm. BTW, I bought a pressure gauge today at the plumbing supply. I screwed it on to the PVB, so the mainline goes right to the control valves from there. So the static pressure at the PVB was 52. This was at around 6 PM today. I'm gonna set my alarm for tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM to see if it will be any more. But it looks like I'm gonna be somewhere between 50-55 psi.

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 4:53pm

OP here

OP here. First of all thank you for all the input. It is greatly appreciated. I want to respond to some of the issues you have raised. 1) I made my connection on the 1" copper service line about 3 feet from the 5/8 meter. So not much copper pipe from the meter to my connection. It's 50 ft of 1-1/4 sch. 40 pvc from there to 1" Febco PVB. 2) I have a Neptune 5/8" meter (model T10) which is rated at 150psi and a normal operating rangeof 1/2 to 20 gpm. So looks like this bad boy could handle 18 gpm....

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 7:05pm

Question About GPM

Quoted from "Central Irrigation" Need to know what your static water pressure is. 25 GPM is what you can technically flow through 1 1/4" pipe without causing any damage. However, we need to know what your water pressure is in order to determine how much of that 25 GPM you can use in order to have adequate pressure at the heads. Ok, Thanks. That's what I thought. How accurate are those $10 gauges they sell at HD?

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 5:29pm

Question About GPM

Okay, so I tapped into my 1 inch copper line just 3 feet from my 5/8 inch meter, installed 1 inch brass curb stop and then about 50 ft of 1-1/4 shc. 40 pvc to the 1 inch PVB. Did the 5 gallon test and couldn't believe I was getting 25 gpm especially since the hose bib last year gave me about 12 gpm. Yea had to repeat it two more times before I was convinced. Absolutely thrilled since that will reduce the number of required zones from my original design at 12 gpm. My question is how much of the 2...

Friday, October 1st 2010, 3:49pm

Hunter PGP Ultra or I20?

Thanks for all your input. Does your opinion of the pgp apply to the new pgp ultra too?

Thursday, September 30th 2010, 7:43pm

Hunter PGP Ultra or I20?

I'm a homeowner anticipating installing an irrigation system myself sometime in the next year. My design calls for 26 rotors in addition to a number of spray heads. I am considering either the new PGP Ultra or I20 for my choice of rotor. The price differential per head is $3 from an online irrigation supply store I will be purchasing from. My question is whether or not the extra $3 is worth going with the I20. My understanding is that the main difference in the two heads is that the I20 comes wi...