You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-6 of 6.

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 9:45pm

Author: mattb2003

Febco 765-3/4 Installation

Hi all, I was getting ready to turn our system on for this spring/summer and decided that due to the age of the backflow device, it was time for a replacement. I picked up a Febco 765 (3/4") as the replacement. After finally getting the old backflow device disconnected at both ends, I'm having trouble understanding how this is supposed to connect to the system. I didn't have any trouble connecting the incoming water line (from the house) as I was able to turn the entire piece to tighten at both ...

Tuesday, June 19th 2012, 10:46am

Loud thumping / banging when zone turns on...

Thanks again for your help. One thing I did notice is that since the new pressure tank was installed, the water pressure to the sprinkler system seems to be higher. I did a "test" last night by turning the system on zone 1 and let it run until right before the switch to zone 2. Before the switch, I turned a few faucets on and ran the water inside the house while it switched from zone 1 to zone 2. No banging, thumping, or loud noises of any kind (and I hadn't run the sprinkler system since the da...

Monday, June 18th 2012, 10:09am

Yes, we are on a slope, so that's definitely possible. I don't ever remember this happening when we turn the sprinklers on for the first time when the season start (the system is drained for the cold winters). Is it possible that since the expansion tank was replaced there's somehow a change in pressure to the sprinkler system that could be causing this and lowering the pressure would fix the problem? We have two PRV's attached to the system. One is before the water meter (our meter happens to b...

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 6:46pm

Well, apparently our valves don't have flow control, so I guess we'll have to look into other solutions. Maybe replace the valve or put a PRV before the sprinkler system. If there are any other ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all of the help so far!

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 4:35pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure it's when zone 2 turns on. I stood down in our basement during the switch as I thought it was a problem with the shutoff of zone 1. Zone 1 shuts off and there's very little noise. About a second later, zone 2 comes on and as soon as the water starts flowing to zone 2, it makes the thumping noise (and can last quite a few seconds). I'll check both though a the controller to see. I'll also see if there's a way to tone down the flow of zone 2. Thanks again ...

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 8:42am

To give some background, we recently had an plumber out as we had water hammer whenever our sprinklers would turn off (we had no issue with them turning them on, just the hammer when they would turn off). The plumber found two issues: 1) the pipes weren't secure, so were moving around quite a bit with the force of the water turning off, and 2) our expansion tank needed to be replaced. The plumber secured the pipes and replaced the expansion tank. All seemed to be quiet and working properly! Fast...