You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-19 of 19.

Monday, September 29th 2014, 11:28am

Author: dharwood

Question on a mainline design from a lake pump

Ok, so I think the Maxi-Paw is exactly what I am looking for! One questions on using the bottom port for winterizing. In reading the specs, it seems the bottom port is 3/4" and the side port is 1/2". Keeping with my high volume/low pressure challenge, would it be better to use the larger port for water delivery? Speaking of water delivery, now that I have my mainline done and it is using 1.5" PVC up to a 1.5" valve, my plan was to drop down in pipe size after the valve with my lateral lines and ...

Sunday, September 28th 2014, 8:07pm

Pressure tank sizing for lake pump

Ok, I found a 34 gal Amtrol Champion tank that seems to be a good balance of quality, size and price. At 30/50 psi is has 11 gals of drawdown. I plan on installing this outside of the garage under the overhang, and out of the sun. I could jump up to 44 gal just to give myself the headroom, but the price jump is a tough pill to swallow. I'll couple the tank with the Square D pressure switch. You recommended the FSG2, I assume the J20 (30/50). I'll go with that. I'd like to try these first, before...

Friday, September 26th 2014, 12:14am

Ok, I think I see where the confusion lies... your statement "The problem for you is that you also want to have the ability to draw random intermittent small amounts of water from hose bibs" is not what I am looking for. When running the hose bibs, I am fully expecting the pump to be running continuously like it does today. We don't use the hose for random small amounts of water, we use it for running sprinklers. When I have the system fully operational the hose bibs will rarely be used. When th...

Thursday, September 25th 2014, 2:53am

Thanks Wet_Boots. Very clear explanation of the situation and options. I think I have what I need and understand the challenge I face depending on the choices I make. The part I feel isn't being taken into account is that I WANT my pump to run. I don't "need" water delivered from the tank. My purpose for the tank is to keep the line pressurized when the pump is off. Without it my line pressure drops to zero and my valves won't function correctly. The calculators are geared towards trying to deli...

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 1:48pm

I don't know where the businesses that take pumps on trade-in are, but I am not aware of any in my neighborhood. The research I did pointed to the centrifugal pump as being the correct choice for irrigation/sprinkler applications. Sprinklerwarehouse.com has this exact quote when referring to centrifugal pumps... "A vast majority of all irrigation pumps fall into this category". I wish I would have posted the question on this forum before buying and using the pump, but I didn't. Can we move on fr...

Tuesday, September 23rd 2014, 8:05pm

I certainly don't want to add any additional devices to my system, ecspecially at that kind of price tag. Doing the math will never replace real world experience which is why I turned to this forum, but I appreciate your point. As for building character, thanks for looking out for me, but I am doing fine The online calculators are basically the same as the "script". They are designed to size a tank to deliver water to the system and reduce pump cycles (less run time is better). The calculators r...

Tuesday, September 23rd 2014, 3:59pm

I was going to check the pressure in the line when the spigot is running. I actually have dual spigots so this is fairly easy to do. Based on that I was hoping that my "open" (either spigot or zone valve) range would still allow me to set the pressure switch to cover either possibility without the switch shutting off the pump. I may be ignorant of reality (highly likely). I assumed that if my pressure with everything closed and the pump running was 42psi, I could set my shutoff at about 40psi. I...

Monday, September 22nd 2014, 2:12pm

I am looking to add a pressure tank to my irrigation setup which is fed from a dedicated 1.5hp centrifugal lake pump. Basically I just want the tank to keep my mainline pressured so that my valves will stay closed when the pump is off and to sense a "demand" event and start the pump. Currently my setup requires you to turn the pump on manually and then open the valve. Not terrible, but not ideal. Also, when my pump is off for awhile the pressure behind my valves drops low enough the the diaphram...

Friday, September 19th 2014, 6:26pm

Figured I would try to resurrect this thread, as I have finally made progress on this project. I basically did everything that I set out to do, including the filter, winterizing drain and flow sensor. I have the mainline installed. I have it delivering water to a dual-spigot hose setup and also to a dual valve box (however nothing is connected to the valves yet) for future zone creation. The only thing that I have left to do is add the pressure tank and switch, which will be important to help ke...

Friday, September 19th 2014, 6:04pm

New valve won't close

Happy to report that adjusting the flow control did the trick. Also needed to be more patient. Didn't realize that the valve may take up to 10 seconds to fully close. Thanks again!

Monday, September 15th 2014, 12:50pm

New valve won't close

Thanks Wet_Boots. I will try the flow control and see if it helps.

Sunday, September 14th 2014, 8:06pm

New valve won't close

I have a new DIY setup that uses a pump to pull water from a lake (no pressure tank). The mainline splits with one line running to a hose spigot. The second line runs to a Hunter ICV-151G valve. I tested the setup with the valve in the closed position and using the the hose spigot. When I started the pump water gushed from the Hunter valve for a moment and then it closed. I used the hose spigot for a couple of hours, and then turned the pump off. The next morning I used the hose spigot again for...

Saturday, August 10th 2013, 11:29pm

This is the property layout. The lake is at the top (you can see the dock in the upper left). The white line is the property line. The yellow line is the boundary of the area I intend to water, with measurements in feet. The brown are the buildings and I also show the sidewalk and driveway. The thin black lines are elevation changes relative to lake level. Upper right red circle shows where the pump is and the red circle at the center right is where I intend to put the valve box and spigot, just...

Saturday, August 10th 2013, 8:23pm

Ok thanks. That helps. For lake water, it is pretty clean (can see the bottom at 12'). However it's clean because it's sandy so that is the biggest risk I think. Even though it is one zone, I am planning on having the mainline end at a hose spigot with the sprinkler zone branching off just prior via a single valve. So dead heading would still be in play. I have decided to just go with the flow sensor on the mainline before the valve box. That way, when I open the valve and start the pump relay I...

Saturday, August 10th 2013, 6:44pm

I just wanted to start my project this year by tackling the mainline and getting the power to my pump buried underground. Knowing how many zones will change how I approach it, so the fact that I might be able do does this as a single zone was definately information that I hadn't conisdered. I had wanted to wait on doing the "math" on sprinklers until I was ready for that phase of the project, but now I realize I should probably have that information figured out beforehand. So that is what I am w...

Saturday, August 3rd 2013, 7:31pm

Ok, I was looking at the t-filter that I planned on getting..."Vu-Flow VFNT150-100P 1.5 inch 100 Mesh Polyester T-Style Filter". After reading the specs on it, I have my doubts about whether it will work in my setup. I was planning on putting it right after the pump outlet. The pump is basically pushing 80+ GPM at this point. The filter is rated for a maximum of 50 GPM on the 1.5" version. The suction side does have a filter with a mesh matting. Should I forego the filter? Get the filter, but ig...

Wednesday, July 24th 2013, 2:27pm

The pump is an "LSP-150-C Monarch Centrifugal Pump". http://www.pumpbiz.com/shopping_product_detail.asp?pid=69196 Yes it does have a check valve on the inlet side. Thanks for the pointers on winterizing. I think I can use slope to my advantage and drain the system and avoid having to blow it out. I only have a pancake compressor so blowing out the large pipes likely won't work. I was planning on having a t-filter on the output side of the pump (say 12" from the port). This would be maybe 2' high...

Wednesday, July 24th 2013, 12:09pm

Thanks Wet_Boots, that is exactly what I was looking for! As far as the whole thing being one zone... I saw you mention that on another post when someone had an centrifugal pump and it really got me thinking, because I had always "ignorantly" assumed the pump would be my limiting factor. Reducing the number of zones is something I would be in favor of and once I have the mainline completed I will do the math and see what I can get away with. The depth that I am going to bury the pipe at was a li...

Tuesday, July 23rd 2013, 7:45pm

DIY newbie ready to give this irrigation thing a try. I've read a lot on this site but would really appreciate some expert advice and guidance. I'm looking to start a project that will evolve over the next couple of years. To start with I have a 1.5 hp pump with a 2" suction hose pulling 3 feet vertically up to the pump which is sitting on the bank of the lake. On the 1.5" pump outlet, I have a reducer to a 3/4" hose bib and a hose connected to a sprinkler that gets drug all over our 1.5 acres t...