You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Phxflyer

Unregistered

Tuesday, December 1st 2009, 3:03pm

zone 1 pulsating with weak flow

5 zone system. Zone 1 is not coming on full but is instead pulsating with weak water flow. I replaced the solenoid but this did not help. I changed the wiring from zone 1 to unused zone 6 at the controller. This also did not help. The clerk at the hardware store didn't think the diaphragm would cause this. No leaks and this zone was working a few weeks ago. Any ideas?

Phxflyer

Unregistered

Tuesday, December 1st 2009, 3:09pm

RE: zone 1 pulsating with weak flow

5 zone system. Zone 1 is not coming on full but is instead pulsating with weak water flow. I replaced the solenoid but this did not help. I changed the wiring from zone 1 to unused zone 6 at the controller. This also did not help. The clerk at the hardware store didn't think the diaphragm would cause this. No leaks and this zone was working a few weeks ago. The zone operates with good water flow if I open the valve manually.

mrfixit

Tuesday, December 1st 2009, 5:08pm

Diaphragm

Sounds like changing the diaphragm should do the trick. If not then change out the whole valve or bonnet. Which model valve is it?

Phxflyer

Unregistered

Tuesday, December 1st 2009, 7:00pm

It's an Irritrol 205 series valve. I should have picked up the diaphragm but the guy had me convinced it was the controller with this kind of problem. It was a counterman at SprinklerWorld. He seemed so sure, but swapping out zone 1 with unused zone 6 didn't fix it so my next guess was the diaphragm.

I'll post here tomorrow if that fixes it so it could help others.

mrfixit

Wednesday, December 2nd 2009, 1:54am

A controller can cause a pulsating sound. Very rare. Try this if you can. Swap solenoids and wiring with a valve next to it. See if you still have a problem. I'm interperting your pulsating sound as the diaphragm trying to open but it too old and stiff. Changing a diaphragm on a 205 can be tricky. I attach the diaphragm and spring to the bonnet with the screws before placing the bonnet on the valve.

Good luck!

Phxflyer

Unregistered

Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 2:44pm

That did it! It was the diaphragm. Your advice of attaching the new diaphragm in the bonnet first made the assembly a piece of cake. I just put one screw through a little on each side, lined it up over the bottom, continued to tighten those two screws, then put the additional 6 screws in. No leaks and it worked immediately.

Upon questioning the clerk at SprinklerWorld again about it being the controller, he said some Rainbird controllers are known to have a problem that causes a pulsating chatter. I have a Champion unit. And I think what I called "pulsating" was just a very weak flow causing the heads to momentarily come up then drop repeatedly.

In any case, again, thanks for your words of wisdom. :thumbsup:

Rate this thread