You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

grey

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 11:24pm

How's this for a test?

OK I had some time on my hands so I grabbed my pressure gauge. Out in the backyard I have splitter connected to the bib and several 50 feet hoses connected to one of those impact rotors. I connected gauge to one hose while running the sprinkler. I've got 40 PSI while static was 60 PSI. Any validity to this test? By calculations following irrigationtutorials.com I came up with pressure loss of about 30 PSI.
Comments?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 12:03am

inputed your calcuations wrong?

What you think your results beat the 1000's of hours of testing of pipe designers/creators?
Just stick with the flow charts

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 12:17am

Is that how dynamic pressure measured? I was just wondering if there's anything useful in my little experiment.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 12:27am

Not really

Your garden hose has much more friction loss then pvc.. That's why it's not used.
Your hose bib can only supply soo much water
And your single impact head is only using 2-3 gpm.

Your not going to have one sprinkler head per zone are you?

Since you know your going to be installing your sprinkler system. Install your back flow assembly either at the point of connection after your water meter or the point of connection that enters your house. Get your flow test done and your dynamic psi measurement done too

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 1:11am

Your not going to have one sprinkler head per zone are you?

:) No. I just got to that point of calculations. My total available flow is about 11-12 GPM.
How would one measure dynamic pressure beforehand?

As far as back flow device concerned. I have my water meter in the basement. It's a carpeted storage area. Should I fit backflow there or outside and then winterize it for freezing weather?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 10:06am

What freezing weather? You have yet to fill in the info that posts your location.

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 10:43am

What freezing weather? You have yet to fill in the info that posts your location.

How's that for you?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 1:48pm

The location of a backflow preventer depends upon the type of backflow preventer you are going to use.

The question of which backflow preventer you are going to use starts by determining what is required by your local building codes. Local codes vary and can be as specific as "you must use company A, part number B" or as loose as "any industry standard backflow preventer".

The most typical options (listed in order of effectiveness) are RPZ, PBA, and DCBA (what ever those mean). If you use a DCBA, it can be installed in the same room as your meter. But many people question the use of DCBA in irrigation (it offers the least protection) and therefore may not be allowed by local building codes. If you have to use an RPZ or PBA, those will pretty much have to be installed out-doors above ground.

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 3:45pm

Our local codes does not specify type as long as you have it. I was leaning towards double check (DCBA) since my previous house had it. Does DCBA spill water out if there's backflow?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 5:24pm

On the west side of the cascades 95% of back flows are DCVA's ( double check valve assembly) . These one's don't drip water.

Rate this thread