You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ksmiley

Monday, July 11th 2011, 1:56pm

Bubbling sound underground

Whenever one of the zones is open, we hear a bubbling sound underground, and can feel vibrations when we place a hand on the ground. We decided on spot to dig - as closely as possible based on what we heard and felt - but when we reached the pipe there was no water there. We can still hear the sound but can't accurately determine which way to dig - left or right. We can feel the vibration of water escaping from the pipe and that doesn't help to determine direction either.

No digging had been done in the area beforehand. This vibration is right next to a tree.

My question - is there a tool or a method that can help us identify what direction the noise/vibration is coming from?
Is it possible that air is caught in the line? If so, is there a way to accurately determine that that is the issue?
Thanks.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ksmiley" (Jul 11th 2011, 2:08pm)

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Monday, July 11th 2011, 6:33pm

If you leave the water on for say 45 minutes,you will find a wet spot if you look hard enough,if there is one that is.It would be a tiny leak if it took 45 minutes,it would take 20 seconds if it was a good leak. What you are most likely hearing is a cavatation type sound.somtimes the valves dont fully open as they age,there is probably a couple other causes like multiple elbows too.Air and water bounce around in the pipe and vibrate and can have a wide range of sounds. It can be quiet enough where you wouldnt really hear it,or last week i heard one that sounded exactly like a helicopter,extremely loud and it would wake everyone in the house up. this is most likely the problem. you might just have to dig a little more to find the problem if it is not cavitation.
a stethoscope might help to narrow down location.other than that probably just have to dig both ways until you find it. and possibly put a small section of new pipe in there,if it is near a tree, roots will kink the pipe right up,this could also be your problem.good luck

ksmiley

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 7:19am

Thanks for the reply. Upon digging further last night I found that not only is this pipe down amongst the tree roots, but it is also running through the roots alongside two other pipes as well. Perhaps the growing roots have pushed the pipes together causing them to vibrate against each other. The pipe that is making the noise is the one least reachable. I cut out one section of root hoping to quiet the sound. No luck. I wedged in some thin pieces of wood between the pipes hoping for same but that didn't work either.

Still I have found no evidence of water leakage.

At this point I am going to let well enough alone and not dig any further. My guess - and hope - is that the noise is perhaps air in the pipe, or cavitation, and that there will be no more issues other than the sound.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 5:44pm

I think your probably right that no harm will be done. The one that I heard the other day was incredible,it was as loud as a helicopter,as long as its not like that haha,you should be fine. a couple couplings 8 or so clamps and 15' of pipe would most likely fix that if you ever got ambitious one weekend.

Rate this thread