You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rmonge00

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 8:33am

Irrigation Project

Hello Everyone, I live on 3 acres and would like to extend some irrigation out to my garden area (which is about 1/4 acre). My plan is to tap into the 3/4" copper piping that runs out to my outdoor faucet (flow rate is 6gpm) and run a line from that out to the garden. It will be about 200 yards of total piping and I want to use schedule 40 PVC. My main question is this: If all I want to do is set up taps or faucets at the end of those lines (I am thinking that I will have maybe 6 faucets), do I need to worry about any of the manifolds or backpressure tricks that are required when you set up sprinklers or can I just literally connect the pipe and then put taps on the end of it where I want them? I hope this question makes sense!!

Thanks for the help....
Ryan

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 10:12am

Backflow Prevention is likely a building code requirement where you live (wherever that is) and you want to comply with the applicable codes.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 5:09pm

Call the town and ask to speak with the plumbing inspector.

I'd be concerned about 200 yards of pvc and the pressure and gpm at the end of that. Needs the pros advice on that one.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 11th 2012, 9:41am

6 gpm is not alot for sprinklers. I have 9-10 gpm out of my well and thats barely enough to work 3 sprinkler rotors at 3 gpm each for my 1/2 acre front/side/back lawn.
Whatever you do, if you are running it 200 yards, use a minimum 1" pvc. Any smaller, and you will have some major PSI and gpm loss. 200 yards is a LONG run for low pressure/gpm.
Do you have a well or city water? Do you know your mainline size and PSI rating? For that much of a run, you want all the flow you can get.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.