You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wdm

Starting Member

Thursday, April 5th 2012, 9:48pm

Question about my own sprinkler system

Hi Experts,

I'm in Sugar Land, TX. Based on my test, I got only pressure: 58PSI and rate: 8gpm, is it normal? or too low for sprinkler system. I'm planning build my own sprinkler system and the first question bothering me is about the backflow prevention device. Do I need to obtain a permit from somewhere? if so, where can I find more details about this device?

Thanks and Regards,

wdm

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Friday, April 6th 2012, 7:54am

I only had 51psi static and 7.5gpm of flow so it can be done. I used 1 inch for the main line and most of the laterals and kept the flow of each zone near or under the 8gpm mark. I have a feeling I went a little bigger than I needed to.

You will need a backflow preventer. Each town varies but in my town I was told I needed a plumbing permit and an electrical permit. I guess my town likes to inspect low voltage wiring as well. You should be able to find plenty of information on backflow preventers but there are different types and your town might specify a specific one and it may have to be tested. Some towns/counties/states are really strict.

I would contact your local building/code dept and find out exactly what they require. After all, you're paying their salary.

Friday, April 6th 2012, 8:24am

Sugarland does require a backflow and you will pay for a permit.
Your best bet is to call them. Their website is http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/community_dev/permits_inspections/building_permits/index.asp for their permit department. They can help you.

Your pressures and flow will work. Be careful with your design and you'll be ok.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 6th 2012, 11:29pm

I always wondered why lower-pressure areas in Texas (psi in the 50's or less) don't take advantage of antisyphon valves located in a manifold near the house utility area. Too much trenching, maybe. Definitely the least pressure loss through backflow preventer and zone valve.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 7th 2012, 7:48am

I have similiar psi and gpm. There are heads that work with lower numbers.

I've installed two systems on my property.

I recommend the Toro and Hunter manuals. Very helpful.

Monday, April 9th 2012, 8:44am

Wet-Boots,
Some Texas areas are pretty restrictive, with ASVs being prohibited by some jurisdictions.

If you look at Rain Birds design service they provide free designs from every state but Texas.
Texas is fee based.
In my original licensing class and in all CEU's, ASVs are downplayed.
Yet I know they are used by the thousands in other areas with no problems.

Then you have the trenching/extra piping/labor issue.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, April 9th 2012, 9:36am

My pressure is only about 8-9gpm, and 60psi. I was able to put 3-4 Hunter PGP ultra's, or Rainbird 5004 rotors on each zone, with 2-3 gpm nozzles each depending on # of heads a zone, 6 zones total. I succeeded in head to head coverage except for a small area in my front yard due to some big @$$ roots from oak trees.
All areas are different as far as installation.
In my area, all you need to do is have utilities marked if you are doing it yourself. Since we have lived here for over 30yrs, we know there are no buried utilities on our property, except for our own septic system and LV lighting wire, especially since we are far from the road. Electric, cable, and phone are aerial, and gas was installed on the opposite side of the street 4 yrs. ago......but we are all electric. We still called, and they said they didn't need to come out because we have no history of buried public utilities near our property.
We asked about connection to water main, they said just to have a PVB installed, especially if we are connected to city water (we have well, but still added a PVB for peace of mind), and electrical, they said they don't issue permits or inspections for low voltage wiring.
Again, this is just my area. You should always ask. Some areas have no guidelines, some may have them where you need a permit just to replace a sprinkler head! :D
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Rate this thread