You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ptofimpact

Unregistered

Friday, April 20th 2012, 3:49pm

Rainbird R-50

Need a R-50 Rotor head, mine is cracked, and dont want to dig up entire fixture. Is there a Hunter or something that will screw on. Cannot seem to find an R-50

seansy59

Advanced Member

Friday, April 20th 2012, 5:38pm

Well.....I don't know if you really want to pay the price for it, you can swap the insides which are 2" underground. Unscrew it, and put the new body in.
Or.......it's easy to replace a head. Dig down 6"-8", and over to the side, install a swing joint on there, or "Funny Pipe" since today's heads are a few inches taller, and install a Hunter PGP Ultra right next to it. If the casing is cracked, you have to replace the whole head anyway.......
Lets see if anyone else can find an exact replacment, or something simlair.......
Rainbird R-50
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 20th 2012, 10:09pm

an R-50 is the same height as a PGP head

mrfixit

Saturday, April 21st 2012, 4:14am

I have some R-50's but I'm not going to sell them.
There's one on Ebay for 50 bucks.
If you don't want to dig you can probably just unscrew the head without digging. Give it a try. Have your replacement sprinkler at hand when you do it. Just be careful of the dirt caving in.

Saturday, April 21st 2012, 6:37am

Thanks

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. As I try to find a replacement rotor, what I did as a fix for now, have some repair 'glue', [ I say glue as I dont know the correct term for it] it's called J B Weld Kwik, it comes 2 tubes, mix equal parts, and it sets up real strong. I repaired the missing piece of the rotor, by cutting a small piece of aluminum 'duct tape' [ not the mesh backed stuff], it has adhesive backing, and covered the hole. Then mixed some J B Weld, coated the entire thing, let it setup overnight. Put it back into fixture, irrigated this morning, its holding and working for now till I find repl rotor.
If anyone spots one, appreciate a heads up. Thanks
Pete

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 21st 2012, 6:41am

I'm saving my R-50 heads for the next Sotheby's auction :whistling:

mrfixit

Saturday, April 21st 2012, 1:14pm

Some of us are better prepared than others.

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 8:37am

JB Weld = liquid duct tape

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 2:44pm

JB Kwik

GatorGuy, thanks for the info. I use this stuff for many repair jobs, its cheap, and it works.

deelster

Starting Member

Sunday, May 13th 2012, 5:51pm

Rainbird R50 additional question

I currently have the R50 in my yard with one bad. I see the previous conversation but guess that Rainbird should have a replacement for the R50. I have seen what I think are the new versions but I am not sure about the overall height. Is there a rainbird sprinkler that would replace the R50?

Rate this thread